CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   91 Cane - Valve Adjustment (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/91-cane-valve-adjustment-81918/)

mongrel 11-06-2008 05:27 AM

RE: 91 Cane - Valve Adjustment

G'day Steve,
Yeah, the old Honda is a bit different, fun tho. . . I think I may have got on fairly well with your mate from Kal from the sound of things. . . I also suffer from that affliction that wont let me leave anything alone. The 2004 ER6 Kawasaki that donated some of her unwanted bits to project MNGRL is currently being rebirthed as a 250kmh dirt bike (safari/rallye spec). past and current projects include : YZ125 chassis fitted with DT200 engine. XR628 Honda, fitted with CR500 suspension, 300w electrics and carrying 59 litres of fuel and breathing through dual stage air filtration system (I rode this in its early incarnation in the 15day Australian Safari in 1988, and have since covered over 220,000 km on her, mostly hard ones !). Also underway is a 6 wheel drive workhorse, with 4 wheel steering (front pair and rear pair contra-steer) powered by a Honda Spacy 250 CVT ! In car terms, a Nissan 280 with 265 Chrysler Hemi 6-pack power, L300 4x4 with Leyland P76 alloy V8 power, a low-slung Holden Rodeo with 3.8 Commodore motivation, a similar (but S2 ecotec) powertrain in a Holden Shuttle van, and a 60 series Landcruiser with 355 stroker (308) Holden power and LPG. My current toy car is the little yellow soft-top Jensen Healey you can just see behind Mong, with it's beautiful 907 Lotus twin cam power. . .yummy.
Past road bikes have included a procession of hot 2 strokes mostly Suzuki twins and triples,(never managed to own the one I truly covet, the RZ500 Yam 4cyl 2stroke . . . . there is still time !) GS Suzuki's, and most recently one of those timeless '85 'slabside' GSXR 1100's. . and now Mong ! But this stuff is just dabbling, my real passion is my dirt bikes ! Currently , Husqvarna 510 TE and SMR (motard), EC (2 stroke, of course) Gas Gas enduro bike, Gas Gas JT250 trials bike, and 2 XR 600's. I also race go karts (on dirt, of course, just to make it harder), and have just got my CAMS licence to go racing cars too. ( On 2 wheels, I still race enduro's, desert, super-motard, and occasionally motocross,and the odd road race or track day ). In my spare time I work fulltime and sleep ! tee hee. I suppose I should have introduced myself first, really ! Pleased to meet you.

CBRclassic 11-06-2008 06:02 AM

Holy ****.... I am buggered just reading about you ..;)
You would have defiantly got on well with my old mate ...
He is still crazzy..living in QLD now and has just built his own 1100Honda Dirt bike sidecar outfit road registerd with engineering cert .....and its fitted with fiberglass fairings all painted to perfection, that make it look like its out of star wars ....
it actually looks wicked ..;) He races it around the bloody streets and he is 53year old...:eek:

anyway....
Where the fu$%#k do you get the time to do all that and still work mate ??:eek:

Shadow 11-06-2008 07:07 AM

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo[X(][X(][X(]
That's a lotta maintenance , Mong !
:D

CBRclassic 11-06-2008 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo[X(][X(][X(]
That's a lotta maintenance , Mong !
:D
Pete.... that's a full time career!!!!;) I am still recovering from just reading it all ....:eek:

mongrel 11-06-2008 11:33 PM

. . . . . maintenance, Pete ? ? ? Nah mate, wait till something breaks, THEN get your hands dirty ! lol

Shadow 11-06-2008 11:53 PM

Just as long as you're not 400 K's from home when it does break !
(been there, not fun)[X(]

chip 11-08-2008 08:17 AM

BOINK,
It is not really too difficult if you have a service manual and the proper tools. I bought a 10 mm valve adjusting tool on ebay for under $20.00 including shipping inside the U.S. I think it is made for a car because it has a flat screwdriver to adjust the screw. I cut this off with a dremel to get the 3mm hex wrench in. The best part of the tool I have is there is a window in the side so you can see the the adjusting screw to get the hex wrench in easier. The hardest part I had was when I tightened the hex screw and holding the lock nut for some reason the valve would tighten so I left the feeler gauge one size up under the cam lobe when I tightened it.

Shadow 11-08-2008 08:42 AM

Good thinking Chip !:)
Confirms what Bluebeard (G'Day mate) said about running 1 thou or so open in summer.
I'm told these bikes tend to tighten up valve clearances after a while, and 1 thou could make all the diffs between a happy owner, or a sad engine.......:D
I'd like to throw this in
1 Box spanner, cut to whatever length required, with holes so you can see the hex head wrench inside. I say a box spanner because they're cheap, quite thin, and easy to find, and you can cut it down to exactly what you need without fuss. I hate having to butcher expensive tools........[X(]