CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

91 Cane - Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Cane - Valve Adjustment

Okay before any one says it - yes I have read most of the posts re this subject...

I found the posts seem to be very technical, so I'll put my technical ability on the line...valve clearance adjustment sounds technical and hard...

I can replace sprockets - balance carbs - service - ie oil change, pad change/clean etc.

Am I (on spec) capable of the valve clearance adjustment?

If not, a mobile mech is $'s over here and the dear ole cane is too heavy to ramp on the ute!

Don't hold back or be polite - I'd rather know what's in store. Comments please.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 91 Cane - Valve Adjustment

It's a bit technical, but if you follow the procedures the guys have laid out I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it......
If in doubt, ask, we're all here to help - nobody'll flame you for it.......
Maybe look at the tools that make the job easier, I think from Tootall......
life is always easier with the right tools !
Good luck !

Old 11-04-2008, 07:08 AM

I did a valve adjustment last spring and it took me about 2 hours just taking my time. The hardest part of the entire job was getting at the exhaust valves in the front of the head adjusted. But once you get going its really a breeze, just follow the procedure in the service manual. Save your hard earned $$ for a nice riding jacket instead!!

You only needto remove the left side faring to remove the valve cover so leave the right side on to save some time.

Cheers

Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 AM

Shads/Gill, thanks guys, I'll order the tool first as recommended!

I appreciate the guidance.

I'll give you some feedback as to how I went.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be quicker and cheaper to make the tool yourself - just a 10mm socket with an alan key inside it.There were pics posted by a member about a month ago.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 AM

Hi guys,
I'll stick my 2 bob's worth in here, coz the tool sounds identical to one I made years ago for doing the same job on XR600's. I used a 10mm deep series socket, and welded a M12 nut over the outside of it, so it could be turned with a ring spanner, whilst a screwdriver (or apparently an allen key in the case of a cbr) can be inserted down the original square drive hole. I also drilled 2 x 6dia holes in the side of mine, so I could see in to align the screwdriver (allen key) with the adjuster bolt. . . . whole thing cost about bugger all, and still works like a charm. Boink, if you wanna, you're welcome to borrow it. . . . . .

Old 11-05-2008, 07:05 PM

morning classic,
mate, the mongrel applies to the cbr, not me ! yours is a classic,but there really is nothing else you could call mine other than a mongrel ! have a look at it ! . . . . .the engine and main cradle and running gear are honda, most of the rest is Kawasaki or home mede. . . . If it makes you any more comfortable,the bike's nameis usually affectionately shortened to 'mong' (pronounced to rhyme with gong). . .

Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM

I agree with the boys. The job is not hard. It does however take a little time especially the first time you do it. As previously mentioned follow the instructions & ask if in doubt. The only problem also as mentioned is the valves at the corners. For me I found some sockets were physically too large to fit probably because they were cheap & poor quality. I also set mine on spec in winter & 1thou open (loose) in summer. As I commute & tend to run hot in traffic I find it just helps with running. Just my personal choice. Have fun. Your bike & hip pocket well thank you.

Quick Reply: 91 Cane - Valve Adjustment