CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1st Gear Standup Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gear Standup Pics

Today I had my roommate take a few photos of my attempts to wheelie so that I could show my dad who's out of state. Anyway, figured you all may like to see someone trying to stand this heavyweight up on one wheel. I am no pro by any means.

I'm only able to get it up in 1st at slow speed. Anyone able to get their 1000f up in 2nd? If so, what gearing?

[IMG]local://upfiles/6734/801F3CA77BF64044AC1BCBE56198E9D9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6734/A4DA5CCEBC9D4ED5A326AD57B58A67C6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Default RE: 1st Gear Standup Pics

Standing on the back pegs is cheating

I was gonna say not only that but you losethe ability to brake in case you get over center but I guess with the linked brake system you could just use the front brake and that would activate the rear..... I'd be sure to be off the brake when the front tire touched if you do use it....

Old 06-14-2007, 12:09 PM

His right foot is covering the back brake......

Nice pics..........that is a TANK to be doing stand ups. they look nice though man.
My brother geared his -2 and it was an awsome change. I dont know if it would wheelie in 2nd as I wasnt very good at them when he had it, but I would guess I could get it up in 2nd now with that gearing.

Nice pics man.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: andrewmr

Standing on the back pegs is cheating

I was gonna say not only that but you losethe ability to brake in case you get over center but I guess with the linked brake system you could just use the front brake and that would activate the rear..... I'd be sure to be off the brake when the front tire touched if you do use it....
I stand stagerred so that I'm always covering the rear brake. Even though the linked would allow me to use the front I don't want to learn something that will not work with other bikes. I guess it may be cheating, since it is WAY easier than sit downs, although when you hit BP doing a sit down it feels much cooler.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front wheel needs to be on the tarmac to operate the secondary master cylinder for the rear brake..... nice wheelie [sm=hail.gif]

Old 06-14-2007, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: cbroar

Front wheel needs to be on the tarmac to operate the secondary master cylinder for the rear brake.....
Not completely true. With the front in the air, and the wheel still spinning. I can hit the brake and activate the rear due to the forces involved in stopping the front wheel from spinner. When the stop the front it will rock enough to engage the secondary cylinder on the fork leg.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:08 PM
RCM

Nice man, I can get mine up in second on stock gearing I pull back super hard till i hit BP, once your there its fine. Wear you clutching it for those first gear wheelies?

Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Up in 2nd on stock gearing?!? Really? How fast are you rolling before you clutch it? I'm clutching up in first rolling about 15-25mph by the time I'm at a steady BP I'm redlined and bouncing off the limiter which would indicate around 60mph...which I know is off since I'm -1/+2 as far as gearing.

I'm not confident enought to get real agressive and jerk back on the bars, I really let the bike do all the work, but even if I changed my ways I don't even think I could get it up in first without the clutch....

Old 06-14-2007, 07:26 PM

Nice pics !

Be careful though so no one is around andgets hurt,and make sure there is plenty of oil in the engine. The Hurricane, and just about any bike,is notdesigned for longwheelies and there could be an oil starvation that kills the bearings and crank. Some people install ahorizontalwindage tray in the oil panabove the oil pickup tomake the engine handle wheelies.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM
RCM

In second I'm doin about 45mph with no clutch. i just blip the throttle and yank back like a mother ****er. Its easier to control it because its not as jerky as in first gear. Its only a matter of the tiniest wrist movement to keep it balanced.

Quick Reply: 1st Gear Standup Pics