CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1993 CBR 1000F questions & pictures :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 CBR 1000F questions & pictures :D

Hello all, i finally decided to make a profile instead of stalking you all slowly in the background. I have a 1993 Honda CBR 1000F. I purchased this bike as the 3rd owner for $900 with a locked up motor. Or so i thought.

The previous owner just rode it and did not maintain this wonderful bike. The O rings that seal the two pipes running into the block had given up, so it had leaked all the coolant out. He did not notice and continued to ride it. They said it would randomly die. Now when talking to him about how it had "locked up" he said he was riding down the interstate when he heard a "pop!" and the bike coasted to a stop as if you had turned the key off. That told me it was necessarily locked up, but when you went to start it, it would click once but not turn over. So after buying, and removing the engine the next day, i flipped the engine over to find that the chain which runs from the crankshaft to the oil pump had broken because the pump had locked up. Keep in mind this engine was constantly overheating and the oil was obviously nasty as could be. So after disassembling the pump, cleaning, then putting it all together with a new chain, she fired right up. all for under 1100 bucks.

Now this bike had suffered repeated drops, and being laid down on the right side, but had a new fairing (there is road rash on the frame) i repainted it flat black with silver pinstripes. I have alot of people ask me about it and a couple try and buy it. I personally love the bike. Now as far as my questions go...

1) i recently replaced the clutch with a race clutch with the Kevlar and what not, not when the bike is running i have to fight with it to get into neutral, but when i shut it off it does just fine.

2) This did the same with the old clutch, when coasting in neutral at any speed, shifting into first or second is a gear grinding experience, so anytime i miss a shift into neutral, i stomp it down like ripping off a band aid into gear. Is this normal?

3) and lastly i have considered the race exhaust for this bike, and it would need a stage 1 jet kit. Did this help performance wise with anyone?

Bike Photos by WolvesNightmare | Photobucket

Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Fistly welcome to the CBR Forum Insan3Nightmare

The sysmptoms you describe for getting the bike into neutral whist moving are common of many older (and newer for that matter) bikes. It's usually always easier to select neutral while coasting to a stop.
I'm not sure if the kevlar clutch plates are causing that particular bit of grief. It looks like you are handy with a spanner, so I'm assuming you looked at the clutch springs (length) when you replaced the plates?

Can't help you with the race pipes though sorry

Cheers, SB

Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Welcome, sounds like the clutch slave needs bled or rebuilt/replaced.

On the pipes this was just went over in the forum by TBT and for 93-00 bikes the jetting up of the pilot jet to 45 and 135 -138/140 will get you started if you are in the Eastern USA from 500' - 2500' in altitude, with 1 shim under the needle jet.
The bike needs to have a good clean airfilter or K&N installed. http://carbjetkits.com/honda-jet-kit...-jet-kits.html

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...k2-mk3-143670/

If you live somewhere else this should give you a good starting point.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 01-03-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Fistly welcome to the CBR Forum Insan3Nightmare

The sysmptoms you describe for getting the bike into neutral whist moving are common of many older (and newer for that matter) bikes. It's usually always easier to select neutral while coasting to a stop.
I'm not sure if the kevlar clutch plates are causing that particular bit of grief. It looks like you are handy with a spanner, so I'm assuming you looked at the clutch springs (length) when you replaced the plates?

Can't help you with the race pipes though sorry

Cheers, SB
To be honest the spring thought didn't cross my mind but I do know they were a hair shorter than the stock springs. But after riding a little longer it seems to work a little better. So far I love the get up and go they provide.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 PM

Here are the pics

Name:  PICT0453_zps372b862a.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  137.2 KB

Last edited by regener8ed; 01-03-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great man and hey with Item two the shift issue
happens on my 93 anytime I soft shift it - now I just shift
without mercy

Pretty tall mirrors there eh ? where'd you get 'em ?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stealth Bomber Scheme always looks good

If I had to paint a second Hurricane I'd go with the matte black too, maybe with some reflective highlights like your pin striping.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Looks great man and hey with Item two the shift issue
happens on my 93 anytime I soft shift it - now I just shift
without mercy

Pretty tall mirrors there eh ? where'd you get 'em ?
Got them from Dennis kirk I believe. Only two problems are the mounts don't fit so I had to cheat to mount it. And the front being flat makes them fold at higher speeds unless you have them TIGHT. You have the same view as the stock mirrors though.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Stealth Bomber Scheme always looks good

If I had to paint a second Hurricane I'd go with the matte black too, maybe with some reflective highlights like your pin striping.
Yea I recently put blue lights on it to give that glow at night. Excuse my beer belly btw. I had a second jacket on for the cold. It's been a wee bit nippy haha

Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Insan3Nightmare
Yea I recently put blue lights on it to give that glow at night. Excuse my beer belly btw. I had a second jacket on for the cold. It's been a wee bit nippy haha
ha! Beer belly? You obviously haven't seen many pics of our other 1000F riders.

Welcome to the site, man. Bike looks good.

Quick Reply: 1993 CBR 1000F questions & pictures :D