CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1990 SC24 Colour Match

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 SC24 Colour Match

Hello

My girl is under restoration now and I am trying to retrieve OEM colours for the white / red scheme.

basically, I figured out all of the colours....

white - 193k/193p - crystal white pearl
red - R167 - Furious wild red
Blue - Pb220 - Nordic Blue
Siver/Grey parts - NH267M - Hazy Grey/Iron Nail Silver

unfortunately, while there is no problem with white and silver, the red guy is quite a nuisance.

None of the locally availabe paint manufacturers offers it, including potentates such as STANDOX / DUPONT etc.

I even tried to mix it myself using vw gamma but without success. The question is... Has anyone ever tried to retrive the red colour of the above scheme, perhaps someone might have a good alternative formula/code??

Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

colorrite.com

Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 AM

What a beautiful bike. I really love the color scheme. I always wished I'd gotten one of those.

Oh wait.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 AM

Colorrite does not list this colour in their range, also I live in Poland so no colorrite here....

Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bc30se
Colorrite does not list this colour in their range, also I live in Poland so no colorrite here....
Go to Colorrite in the USA. They will post to you.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 AM

Come on guys... I am not interested in such a solution, forgive my being picky... but.. I need 200ml of paint, would you ever pay more for the postage than for the value of the paint... and it takes money to send chemicals anyway..

I just ask whether anyone, perhaps in the countries in which collorite is not an option, found a similar colour from the available colours in standox/dupont range...

Last edited by bc30se; 02-03-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:16 PM

OK guys... this is how it goes as for now

I had a really hard time getting up to this point....

A little tips&tricks on the paints... I used a standox palette

Standox: lakiery samochodowe i dodatki

Available under the same symbol in the catalogue but please be careful with it. The colour itself is very nice, having more pearl effect than the original one but it is definetely not a perfect match. It differs quite a lot. The more coatings you lay, the more yellow it gets. The third on makes it almost solid yellow.

According to the recipe, you should add 0.3ml of green pigment for 1L of paint. The matters get worse when you need 300ml of paint, then how much green you should end up with?? I simply got rid of the green pigment, not to make my life difficult with it. Hope that's clear..

red - R167 - Furious wild red - the perfect match is 339 (honda motorcycles palette)

Blue - Pb220 - Nordic Blue - haven't messed with it yet

Siver/Grey parts - NH267M - Hazy Grey/Iron Nail Silver - NH167 - under the same name

Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Nice job. I love the color. I just have scratches on mine. My problem is the broken tabs. probably from the vibration. Epoxy only seems to hold them for a year or so.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bc30se
OK guys... this is how it goes as for now

I had a really hard time getting up to this point....

A little tips&tricks on the paints... I used a standox palette

Standox: lakiery samochodowe i dodatki

Available under the same symbol in the catalogue but please be careful with it. The colour itself is very nice, having more pearl effect than the original one but it is definetely not a perfect match. It differs quite a lot. The more coatings you lay, the more yellow it gets. The third on makes it almost solid yellow.

According to the recipe, you should add 0.3ml of green pigment for 1L of paint. The matters get worse when you need 300ml of paint, then how much green you should end up with?? I simply got rid of the green pigment, not to make my life difficult with it. Hope that's clear..

red - R167 - Furious wild red - the perfect match is 339 (honda motorcycles palette)

Blue - Pb220 - Nordic Blue - haven't messed with it yet

Siver/Grey parts - NH267M - Hazy Grey/Iron Nail Silver - NH167 - under the same name

Well done - that looks excellent. And thanks for doing the homework on the colours. I'll be keeping that information.

Cheers, SB

Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by slowpoke
I just have scratches on mine. My problem is the broken tabs

Scratches can be got rid of, use 2000 grit water paper and then polish.. there is a risk of wearing through though so again, be careful... if it is the only problem with your coating, you can fine-sand the whole element (1500-2000grit), and then lay a new layer of a clear coat... it will make it shiny new....

As for the broken tabs... never ever should u use epoxy... it will destroy your panels making them unweldable...

Buy a plastic welder (better option) or a LCD heat gun (steinel) with a special nozzle instead. You will also need some ABS welding rods, Honda used ABS for the cowls, I myself made one perfect front cowl using two junk ones but I didn't take any photos to show you.. will try with another elements.

The joint must be shaped with a grinder and filled with a putty... then priming and finally painting.

This is more or less a proper way to do it, it will make your panels as strong as new...

As for the white colour again.. I think I would not got for the 193k right now... there are more pear effect colours availbe in the standox catalogue so perhaps some other could be a better match... I didn't try..

Quick Reply: 1990 SC24 Colour Match