CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1990 cbr1000f hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 cbr1000f hurricane

Where can I find a complete set of fairings? The bike I got I dont think is for the bike. I bought it that way though. It doesnt quite line up. Im tryin to find complete fairings. Can anyone help me? Ive googled, ebayed, craigslist, ext. Thanks yall.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy, Jay!
Judging from the pic, those look like the correct fairings for the bike. However, you may have some of the fairing stays/brackets a little bent from a drop or something. If I were you, I'd try to get them to line up as best you can, and go from there. A full set of fairings for this bike would cost you more than you paid for the whole bike!
Other than that, your only bet would be to keep an eye out for a used set, and piece it together.... but that would get real expensive, too.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 AM

lol Or you can talk to me and i promise i wont take your whole paycheque

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Howdy, Jay!
Other than that, your only bet would be to keep an eye out for a used set, and piece it together.... but that would get real expensive, too.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 AM

pics pics pics pics!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol Or you can talk to me and i promise i wont take your whole paycheque
I don't believe you!
But seriously, if you take a look at his bike, it appears to be in pretty good shape (although possibly missing the whole left side..I can't see it...lol)
I don't think he needs a full set of plastics, and it would be pretty time consuming and expensive, I'd think.....

Sam, there is a pic of his bike: HERE

Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Default more pics

heres some pics of both sides of the bike

Attached Thumbnails 1990 cbr1000f hurricane-cbr1.jpg   1990 cbr1000f hurricane-cbr3.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Default brackets

Yeah, ill have to look into the brackets and stays. The kid I bought it off of has some of the fairings tied together with zip ties and weird bolts. I wanna try to get this bike lookin right. Im gonna keep the color scheme but wannt it to be zip tie free and lining up right. haha.

Attached Thumbnails 1990 cbr1000f hurricane-leftsidebottom.jpg   1990 cbr1000f hurricane-righsidegastank.jpg   1990 cbr1000f hurricane-underhandelbars.jpg   1990 cbr1000f hurricane-underseat.jpg   1990 cbr1000f hurricane-weridbolt.jpg  

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Default Somethings not right

After a complete tear down of the bike I've found out that the fenders, front main fairing, and well the gas tank. I looked at the manufacturing dates on the other pieces and some of them match the date but are a good 2 inches short. The other pieces don't even match the date. Also I ended up cuttin off 14 zip ties, found glue holdin pieces on and more odd bolts. I got some work ahead of me but Ill get it done.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"

Originally Posted by jayhalf01
Where can I find a complete set of fairings? .. .
Welcome to the asylum! Ya know its funny, all these bikes over all the years. Just when I think I've seen every color scheme a new one comes out of the woodwork. I like this one! Is it a factory paint scheme? That could be VERY costly if you can't match a body to it.

Do you want the bad news 1st or the worse news 1st. I just went through this same scinerio. I had stunningly beautiful outome, but it cost me a small fortune. If you can find a complete one in the US that is intact, you got lucky. If you find the same one that isn't completely trashed and it matches, you won the lottery. I had to get mine from Belgium.

Over the winter, I did some major engine work and overall TLC on the girl front to back. My body was beat to p!ss by the previous owner and really was showing its age (stress fractures, cracks, broken / missing tabs, chitty paint, ect) So before I put her back together I wanted a new body. Like you I searched high and low on-line and more or less came up empty handed. I did find a company in England (the name I can't remember at the moment) and with shipping it came to about $1000 USD. This is without any paint on them and the holes were not drilled. Very expensive option. A GOOD paint job could run you in excess of $1000. But then again you could do anything and have a slick 100% custom ride.

Luckily I found a used body here on the CBRF. It was in pretty good shape and was off a '90 CBR1000F (mine is a '91). They match up perfectly when it comes to pieces meeting up, bolt holes, ect.

Here was the problem. The body I got was like ole Steve's body - Red, White, & Blue. Mine was balck and silver. So now I had to get the tank, mirrrors, b!tch bar, and front fender painted. Total cost...... $750 for the body (shipping included) and another $600 for paint and some tank repair work. Don't get me wrong I don't regret it and it came out stunning; I even got some custom paint on top of it. But it was basically $1400 out the door for a body and paint on a 19 year old motor cycle with almost 100K miles. I bet if you buy a brand new one you are going to be looking in the $2K range all said n done.

I don't know what finger to put where, but looking at that 2nd pic something is really not lining up right

Only major thing I see missing is the lower piece on the main fairings and the lower rear covers down by the swing arm. The body looks like its the right one, but something is askew though IMO...

Hope to not scare you off but I just went through this. Its not a cheap investment and you really have to wiegh the options if its worth it or not. But if you are able to spend the money and have the time, it can really come out nice....

What about body repairs?

Quick Reply: 1990 cbr1000f hurricane