CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1000FM sitting 4 years.... What do I do to sort it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might pay for him to invest in a can of of that most excellent Australian product as well I think Seb. (No, not Fosters, the other one).

But only after the basic stuff that we have both mentioned has been done.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hi Dsk
no relation to the rich french guy?
i have a cbr fl, use it rarely
problem with these is when not used for a long long time( 4 weeks or more the carbs dry out and its difficult even with full choke the get the fuel coming in
also the gearbox can get very sticky( difficult to change gear )
as per earlier advice
take plugs out
drain/ rinse tank and carbs , clean gas tap mesh filter, make sure fuel flows through the tap with suction applied to the vac line
squirt in wd 40 or other lubricant
turn over using back wheel in top gear several times to lube the cylinders
then try turning over with the starter , which will pump oil through the system and wet all the dried out parts
then put the plugs back in
then put on full choke, no gas, kill switch off, turn over 15 revs to draw in fuel
kill switch on, no throttle, try to start
iif no life repeat several times but do not crank for more than 15 sec or you will kill the starter
usually is will splutter a few revs and konk out , , wait a minute and then try again
it will splutter a little longer
progressively it will splutter long enough to settle down to an idle
next you will have to tune the carbs
if the carbs are varnished up you may need to clean / change the jets
the earler sub mentioning the paper in line fuel filter is a very good idea as the mesh filters are almost useless
then change the oil once warm, the old oil will be acidic, use synthetic, you bike will love you for it...
no need to change tyres as long as not left flat
you may want to change the brake fluid ( corrodes ) and the fork oil ( becomes gunk )
make sure the brake pistons are not siezed in the calipers ( corrosion )
have fun cbr paul

Old 02-22-2013, 04:22 PM
DSK

Ok, thanks again, theres some excellent info there.

Went to see it today, he forgot the key so I couldnt see in the tank.

It was under a fitted Honda cover, 20,600 miles and bloody immaculate!
chain all lubed up, rear brake works and doesnt stick, couldnt seem to engage a gear, so possibly clutch hydraulics need rebuilding?
Front wheel will not turn, so assume caliper seized. Although its been in the off position so could it be pads seized in calipers and crap on disc? Can't see how it would seize on.

One concern is that its been left with the fuel tap in the on position. Would that be a problem??

Picking it up on the 9th March, I can hardly wait!!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DSK
Ok, thanks again, theres some excellent info there.

Went to see it today, he forgot the key so I couldnt see in the tank.

It was under a fitted Honda cover, 20,600 miles and bloody immaculate!
chain all lubed up, rear brake works and doesnt stick, couldnt seem to engage a gear, so possibly clutch hydraulics need rebuilding?
Front wheel will not turn, so assume caliper seized. Although its been in the off position so could it be pads seized in calipers and crap on disc? Can't see how it would seize on.

One concern is that its been left with the fuel tap in the on position. Would that be a problem??

Picking it up on the 9th March, I can hardly wait!!

Sounds good!

Ok, working through your questions.

Front wheel is most likely hindered by crud/rust build up on the disc, or between the disc/pads. When you get the key you should be able to push the bike and the crud will 'wipe off' as the wheel turns. It will still pay to clean the disc thoroughly.
And check the brakes carefully.

Wouldn't worry too much in not being able to get a gear when the bike is not running. Again when you move it, then try to snick it into 1st or 2nd when rocking it back and forward with the clutch out. You may just need to move a few cogs in the motor (via the movement) to get that working.

The fuel tap in the on position *may* allow fuel to seep into cyclinder 1 causing a hydraulic lock. But if you go through all the original suggestions, you should minimise the possibility of anything untoward happening.

Sounds like a peach though - well done!

Cheers, SB

Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 AM

Sounds like you may have got a gem there. Take in the advice already posted,don't be in too big a rush and do anything rash and I'm sure you'll be a very happy camper.Both TK's and my own had not been run for a considerable time (8 years and 4 years) and neither have any great problems unless you consider the $1m fuel tap a problem(hehehe)

Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 AM

The million dollar fuel tap represents 10% of the total cost of the original purchase price.

Surely the fuel tap can't be 10% of what it costs to build a CBR 1000?

I would have thought all that tricky stuff in the gearbox would have easily contributed 10% of the cost, but a fuel tap?

Wanders off to bed, muttering dark things about Honda spares pricing.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 02-23-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All great advise.

BUT, my concern with this deal is you are going to pay to put this CBR back in condition. Cost of parts, your time & effort but sounds like this guy still holds title & can take it when he wants to ride it. What happens if this guy hurts your work somehow since he hasn't ridden in so long? If you decide to sell it, why does he get half when you paid for all repair.

Sorry, I'm a little skeptical about your deal. Buy it out from him & you own it. Then he's not entitled to ride it because he wants to ride it!

Hope it works out for you.

Originally Posted by DSK
he has offered me this deal. I take it and get it roadworthy and use it. If in the unlikely event he wants to borrow it for a day or weekend he can. then if I decide to sell it when I want to move on I offer it to him for what its cost me to recommission, or we sell it on and split the proceeds.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 PM

very good advice, i cant think of anything to ad. however, i will say, i would never let em "rent" /ride a bike ive poured my heart and soul into, under no circumstance no matter who they are..not even for a "good" deal...never,lol. thats the best way to get your bike destroyed after youve put a lot into it. you cant just pass her around to your friends like a slutty x- gfriend,lol. they will beat her to death and that thing will come back home on a tow truck.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
very good advice, i cant think of anything to ad. however, i will say, i would never let em "rent" /ride a bike ive poured my heart and soul into, under no circumstance no matter who they are..not even for a "good" deal...never,lol. thats the best way to get your bike destroyed after youve put a lot into it. you cant just pass her around to your friends like a slutty x- gfriend,lol. they will beat her to death and that thing will come back home on a tow truck.
Sorry mate, but you obviously live on a different planet to one that I do. I had no qualms at all about giving my bike to a fellow member of this forum (that I had never met).

I absolutely knew that my bike would be treated with respect and consideration.

Maybe it's an age thing?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Sorry mate, but you obviously live on a different planet to one that I do. I had no qualms at all about giving my bike to a fellow member of this forum (that I had never met).

I absolutely knew that my bike would be treated with respect and consideration.

Maybe it's an age thing?
Heyyyyyyyyyyy, I resemble that remark!

Cheers, SB

PS: Had a very funny night on Bombay Sapphire last night TK.............

Quick Reply: 1000FM sitting 4 years.... What do I do to sort it?