CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1000FM sitting 4 years.... What do I do to sort it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 AM
DSK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000FM sitting 4 years.... What do I do to sort it?

Been offered a CBR1000FM thats been laid up in a garage for 4 years.

Other than tyres, battery, oil, carb clean, what else should i budget in changing?

How easy are parts to get hold of for it?

just so I can research, whats the tyre size on these?

Cheers,
Stu

Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

How many miles/kms has it got on it? Where are you in the world? That may be some clue as to the climate it's been sitting in.
Does it run now?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to Henry's questions.

If it hasn't been started for four years, a little squirt of oil down each spark plug hole will minimise damage to the bores.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

+1 to Hawks advice but going back to your initial sentence, I assume you don't even own it..... yet.
How well do you know the current owner? If you're serious about buying it I'd ask if you can spend some time trying to get it running, as long as you don't think it's going to change the asking price if it does start.
One thing you can be sure of, unless it's had it's pistons ripped out, it will run if you've got enough time and mechanical know how to undo the damage that time and oxidation has done.
The first thing I'd want to ask is, was it running before it was laid up. There may be a good reason it was abandoned which may not be apparent. Something which may cause more than head scratching when it still doesn't start after doing the logical stuff.

There's lots of F-M riders on the forum. I'm sure they'll be interested to know what you're being asked for it.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DSK
Been offered a CBR1000FM thats been laid up in a garage for 4 years.

Other than tyres, battery, oil, carb clean, what else should i budget in changing?

How easy are parts to get hold of for it?

just so I can research, whats the tyre size on these?

Cheers,
Stu

The boys have given you great advice so far.

Tyre size changed from the first bikes ('87)

For the F-M recommended is:

Front tyre size 120/70 x 17 Rear tyre size 170/60 x 17

But some people have gone wider on the rear.

Cheers, SB

Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
The boys have given you great advice so far.

Tyre size changed from the first bikes ('87)

For the F-M recommended is:

Front tyre size 120/70 x 17 Rear tyre size 170/60 x 17

But some people have gone wider on the rear.

Cheers, SB
I have a 1996 and I did go up to a 180/55/17 from a 170/60/17 on the back. Others on here have noted that going up to a 190/50/17 is possible but it really dosen't give any benifit.

Good Luck

Old 02-22-2013, 03:24 AM
DSK

Wow! thanks for the advice.

heres some more info. It has less than 20k on the clock, an old boy at work offered it to me. He rarely used it and it eventually ran out of tax and MOT. He says he thinks about getting it on road but doubts he will.

he has offered me this deal. I take it and get it roadworthy and use it. If in the unlikely event he wants to borrow it for a day or weeken he can. then if I decide to sell it when I want to move on I offer it to him for what its cost me to recommission, or we sell it on and split the proceeds.

It ran before being laid up, its in a garage under a cover.

Do the fuel tanks suffer from rust?

Am I looking at clearing carbs and fuel lines out or should it be ok?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:27 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Ok, so in a garage, and under cover the tank will probably not be rusted to any terminal degree.

I would think, drain whatever sh1tty old fuel is still lurking in the tank, drop the fuel tap out and make a further appraisal at that point.

If the thing has not been run since it was parked up, there is no reason that any rust that has formed in the tank will have got into the carbs.

Do not try to start it before you have drained and checked the tank. If, for some reason things have turned to crap in there, any attempt to start it will suck all the crap through and add yet another element to what is still a potentially challenging job.

But if The Gods of Speed have decided to give you a break this week, it sounds like a very good deal.

Keep us in the loop, let us know if the Gods have have smiled upon you, and don't be afraid to ask anything if you're not sure.

Cheers and best of luck

Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DSK
Wow! thanks for the advice.

heres some more info. It has less than 20k on the clock, an old boy at work offered it to me. He rarely used it and it eventually ran out of tax and MOT. He says he thinks about getting it on road but doubts he will.

he has offered me this deal. I take it and get it roadworthy and use it. If in the unlikely event he wants to borrow it for a day or weeken he can. then if I decide to sell it when I want to move on I offer it to him for what its cost me to recommission, or we sell it on and split the proceeds.

It ran before being laid up, its in a garage under a cover.

Do the fuel tanks suffer from rust?

Am I looking at clearing carbs and fuel lines out or should it be ok?

Dry stored and under cover is a bonus.

The tanks can rust though and I would be doing a number of things.

1. put an inline fuel filter between the petcock and the carbs if there isn't one there already.
2. Drain the carbs (screw underneath bowl)
3. Drain the fuel tank and put in fresh fuel.
4. Remove and check the plugs, give them a clean and replace (but not yet)
5. Get a car/booster battery and turn her over (ensuring no possibility of hydrolock. If she turns over OK then,
6. Replace the spark plugs and leads,
7. Start the sucker!

Cheers, SB

Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Ok, so in a garage, and under cover the tank will probably not be rusted to any terminal degree.

I would think, drain whatever sh1tty old fuel is still lurking in the tank, drop the fuel tap out and make a further appraisal at that point.

If the thing has not been run since it was parked up, there is no reason that any rust that has formed in the tank will have got into the carbs.

Do not try to start it before you have drained and checked the tank. If, for some reason things have turned to crap in there, any attempt to start it will suck all the crap through and add yet another element to what is still a potentially challenging job.

But if The Gods of Speed have decided to give you a break this week, it sounds like a very good deal.

Keep us in the loop, let us know if the Gods have have smiled upon you, and don't be afraid to ask anything if you're not sure.

Cheers and best of luck

I.............am......................devastated!!

You beat me to it TK!!!

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: 1000FM sitting 4 years.... What do I do to sort it?