CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1000F to VFR1200; or to maybe GOLDWING??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

You can easily do 1000 MILES in a day on a wing. 1500 isn't to bad. You have to ride basically non-stop. When I am on a rode trip on my wing I stop for fuel only.. gas up and go. I eat snacks and other fast food while doing my refueling. Some Wing Riders even carry a fuel cell to augment the 6 gallon tank. Riding a wing for hours non-stop is actually quite pleasant.

I owned the best of the Goldwing 4's as well I had an 1987. I kept it until 2003 when I replaced it with my new 2003 Goldwing. All I can say is for handling and performance there is NO comparison between the 80's era (4 cylinder) and the 90's era bikes and the new 2001 and up. If you haven't riden one of the new modern wings you really don't really know what it is like. There is a night and day difference between them. The 2001 GW was designed by the same guy that did the Honda 929. He was tasked with making the GW handle and perform as much like a sport tourer as possible. He succeeded it would out handle my BMW K1000LT which is claimed to be one of the better sport tour bikes. It is just under 800 pounds and so won't run away from a CBR but in the hands of a skilled rider it will run quite well.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Driving/riding any vehicle 1000 miles in a day is difficult. 1500 miles in aday would be extremely difficult.
Wolfman- Where did you ride 1480 miles in one day? London to Moscow?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Hi Bassman it was 1 hell of a weekend. Started Friday from Peterborough to Oxford to Dover. Calais to Lemoges to Milan, that was 800 miles, Saturday we chilled out at our mates place. Sunday we rode back the long way across to Verona up through Austria Germany to belgium and back to Calais, had a rest on the boat to Dover then back to Oxford. Unloaded the lugauge and the rode back to Peterborough. The round trip was near as dam it 2300 miles. I had it easy my mate from Oxford was on his V max full power. It took him about a week to get over it. To think that the harley club award thier members the iron butt award for just over the return miles done over 2or 3 days. what a bunch of pussies.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:03 PM

I'd buy a Goldwing as a 3rd bike, but they would need to bring the engine and suspension out of th 80's.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bassman
Driving/riding any vehicle 1000 miles in a day is difficult.
I have a couple of rides coming up that will involve a thousand miles a day. I'll be doing it on the 1000F.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a 26.5 hour ride last Saturday and part of early Sunday morning on my Trek. Not 1,000 miles but I bet I spent more saddle time on it than I would have on a 1,000 mile ride with my CBR. I guess I'm missing this difficulty thing everyone talks about.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 AM

Not sure I understand the engine comment. The Wings engine is designed to be very smooth and have lots of torque. a flat six engine has advantages not the least of which is easy valve adjustments, low center of gravity and perfect primary and secondary balance. The suspension is great if your wanting to ride long distance and carry anything and maybe a passenger for an extended trip.

As for riding 1000 miles. Put a passenger on the back, take 2 weeks worth of gear (including camping I much prefer camping to hoteling it). Head north in Oct or November ride thru a few serious storms in sub freezing temps. Do this comfortably for over a 1000 miles a day for 14 days. I regularly ride my wing in sub freezing temps. I don't even consider it cold until down in the teens. Even then with heated grips, seat and electric vest (my wing as an alternator that produces 1800 watts so even the passenger can have a heated vest) I am very comfortable and warm (and so is my passenger).

Like I said before it depends on what you do with your bike. If you want to take road trips and especially go two up in almost any weather conditions the wing is better. It isn't as fast as my CBR1000RR but there are conditions and trips it is FAR superior to the CBR. So for me I consider what the trip is and take the correct bike. I would never take either my wing or my CBR on a dual sport offroading trip.. I have my KTM400exc for that. So consider what you want the bike for then you can select to right bike for that ride. Or be OCD like me and have one for each type of riding.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wwillcox
Or be OCD like me and have one for each type of riding.
Yep! There is no bike out there that does it all. The 1kF fills most paved road slots. Since I have posted in this thread earlier, I am now an owner of a Stratoliner S. It is a different type of riding. I was going to get in trouble on the 1kF and needed something to slow me down a bit. Now when I go out, I plan my day. If I am going to be far from home on a chilly night when returning, I ride out on the 1kF. Last night on my return ride on the XV1900 I was a little chilly and was missing the 1kF. If I were to get rid of both bikes and pick just one, I would pick the GL1800. It is a bike that fills many slots. The VFR is not a bike to take on camping trips or extended rides. That's why I have a 3-bag system for the 1kF. It is my long range missile. Now that I have the XV1900, everyone is asking me if I am selling the 1kF and asking me how much I want for it. When I tell them that I would rather sell all the fillings in my head than sell it they say, "That's what I figured, but I thought I would ask anyway."

Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Banned

The only place a 267 kg, 170 HP bike with an 18 litre tank like the VFR 1200 will be taken is the service station. You'd spend all day filling the damn thing up. Ugly damn thing anyway. Mr Honda lost the plot there.

Quick Reply: 1000F to VFR1200; or to maybe GOLDWING??