CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1000F to VFR1200; or to maybe GOLDWING??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up 1000F to VFR1200; or to maybe GOLDWING??

Hi guys -- OK, I know we're all fanatics when it comes to the 1000f but how many of you have actually ridden a VFR1200, or even a Goldwing?

Lucky me got invited to Australian dealer, Jeffrey Honda, to a test ride day on both these bikes. I spent 5 hours there, on the bikes and also with Sam Schepis, National Sales Manager, Honda Australia who gave insight into many questions I have been asking myself ( and I note others have here). [Is the VFR a bike looking for a market? Why dump the Blackbird? When will the double clutch model be available for test ride? Will there be a faired tourer model? .... and many others.]

I'll give some fuller write-up later but for a fanatical 1000F rider I was surprised by the torque of the 1200, the power change @ 4000rpm as the second exhaust is opened and then the rush of power starting @ 6000 RPM. FWIW - It is definitely nearer to a VFR800 replacement than a 1000F/Blackbird.

Interestingly I have been known to say 'I'd never ride a Goldwing. What's the sense of them? I'm glad I've had the chance to ride one. Mostly surprised how agile it was through the hills and certainly a bike that, I guess because it has been around for so long, doesn’t seem to have any faults in what it dose.

Hey guys; still got my 1000F, but if you get the chance see if you can get a test ride on these newer bikes.

Here is some pics of a mate of mine on the bikes, along with Geoff Bull, the dealer manager; and the Sam Schepis, National Sales Manager, Honda Australia.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/ph...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/ph...eat=directlink

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 06-19-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post Martin !
I have to agree with Steve-o though - the Goldwing is just too much like a bus.
The new VFR - Not my cuppa tea, either. That's not to say it isn't powerful, modern design etc but it is more of a streetracer in disguise than a replacement for our beloved 1000F.
If they came out with an updated Blackbird, with the Bars from a 1000F, I'd be much closer to raiding my piggybank.
Good pics too Martin !

Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my 1000RR last December my wife was pushing me to buy a Gold Wing instead. I told her that it just wasn't my style of riding but if she'd let me get the sport bike urge out of my system for 3 years or so we would talk about the Gold Wing thing. I pointed out that 99% of my riding would be solo and I just cannot picture myself having fun on a big, heavy bike like that.

I did test ride the Kawasaki version of the Gold Wing (Vulcan?) about 20-something years ago. To me it felt like a Volkswagen on two wheels. No fun at all.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The VFR is a nice looking machine, wonder if my wife would notice it in the garage instead of the CBR

Aussie Johnno

Old 06-20-2010, 01:23 AM

That VFR is a complete dog, what a horrible bike. What are Honda thinking making that. Looks are horrible, where's the bucket i feel sick.....

The worse thing they ever did was make a vtec bike. Far to lumpy and sounds too like an empty tin....

Old 06-20-2010, 06:46 AM

The new vrf is much like the Hurricanne when it came out, some finds it beautiful some finds it ugly, but take a look and the overall shape of the fairing is a bit closer to the original 100 f than you think, I am not saying it is the same but there is mre than a hint in it, i tested the verf and the position is very near the 1000f, a bit more legromm and the wheelbase is aqquite teh same, the difference is in the rake of the forks, no it it is not a replacement, the second gen blackbird missed production because it overan it,s devellopment period... but guys, look at this this way, there are the 4 inlines fans and v4 fans, i am a four inline fans.. so hopfully they 'll come with a replacement for the 1kf or the blackbird...

Have a good day

Old 06-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, i'd be comparing the st1300 and the interceptor if i were looking to ditch my 1k for something a little more comfortable and a little less racetrackish. the gw especially has way too much collateral, and the 1200 has not grown on me yet. dunno how the model lineups compare down under tho.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I test rode the VFR1200, the seat was not really a seat for any sort of long riding.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 AM

I had a good look at the VFR last time I was in the dealers. I was surprised by the size, it looked much bigger in the photos, but I was less surprised by how ugly it is. Did all the bike manufacturers employ cartoonists and designers from the Transformers movie?
Now the GoldWing. Hmmmm, I always said I couldn't see the point. Once it gets that big and blinged ... and with a trailer, you may as well take the car. BUT, for the kind of riding I do the GW actually makes sense.

I'm not sure what I should do right now. The choices are;
Fill in the Ulysses membership form.
Sit in my rocker and reminisce about 'the good old days'.
Shoot myself.

Quick Reply: 1000F to VFR1200; or to maybe GOLDWING??