CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1000f daily use

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Defo gonna be more economical than a car (most of them anyway).

I used mine everyday as a courier bike for a couple year with no unexpected problems.

I find big bikes are easier to balance. Heavier weight but slower weight??

Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In using a bike to commute between 80 and 360 mile a day it became obvious that the fun factor far offset expenses. As has been said, tires, chains, sprockets, etc. balance out fuel savings.

However, my son said it best to a friend that was excited about getting a bike: "You ride for the joy of riding, not for comfort. Riding is at times uncomfortable."

As for whether the CBR1k is a good commuter my vote is 'yes'. I wish that's what I'd had while still on the road every day.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"You may also lose you desire to ride for pleasure"

Demon is correct, there.

My days off, I wouldn't even look at my bike.

Situation is changing but the but the potential condition is always there

Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1kf are good bikes to commute on but as mentioned my choice for a commuter bike would be the ninja 250.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Add me to the list of "daily drivers"
While I can't do it every day, due to work constraints, I ride my Big Bird every chance I get, up to 700 Kilometers in a day.
There are lighter bikes out there that'll give you better mileage, and cheaper consumables as Demon points out but the "grin factor" when you open the throttle on the 1000F is worth the extra weight in traffic and maintenance costs.
I wouldn't change it.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 PM

Also with the 1000f weighing more I've noticed that the wind doesn't blow me around like it does on a lighter bike, really nice when you pass or get behind a semi.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The funny thing about bikes (as well as any other vehicle) you can't find one that does it all. Daily rider, tourer, sport ride etc., the 1kF will fit most requirements. It may not be the best short distance, light handling fuel economic ride out there but it will preform many task.

There will come a day when you will want to ride cross country to visit a friend or family. The 1kf turns from a daily ride to a tourer by simply tossing some soft bags on it. In either form, it still has a huge motor and warm soul.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:27 PM

The bike really is a great all-rounder. It is heavy, it is powerful, it is comfy. One of the reviews back in the day that stuck with me compared it to a Mercedes-Benz 560SL, beautifully finished, more luxurious and comfortable than an outright performance sports car, but still capable of moving along at a good clip. That is a good analogy, I think. I bought my '94 new and have never found anything that made me want to trade it in, so yeah, it's a great 'only' bike.
I don't believe I've ever seen less than 40 mpg, and she'll get 50 on the highway if you keep your right wrist under control.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gern_blanston
The bike really is a great all-rounder. It is heavy, it is powerful, it is comfy. One of the reviews back in the day that stuck with me compared it to a Mercedes-Benz 560SL, beautifully finished, more luxurious and comfortable than an outright performance sports car, but still capable of moving along at a good clip. That is a good analogy, I think. I bought my '94 new and have never found anything that made me want to trade it in, so yeah, it's a great 'only' bike.
I don't believe I've ever seen less than 40 mpg, and she'll get 50 on the highway if you keep your right wrist under control.
Great review

Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by wooferdog
Great review
Great bike!

Quick Reply: 1000f daily use