CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1000F Chicken strips

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1000F Chicken strips

Glad to here that I'm not the only one. Unfortunately commuting to work on the bike = chicken strips.[:-]Wherever possible I hit the hills to ware them off but I can only get touring tires here & I just don't have enough power to get them hot enough to really shred the edges. At the moment though hey aren't too bad but I feel a hills ride coming on in the near future. Perhaps on my way home from night shift again .
There Pete. Perhaps were both a little slack or slowing down a little. It's called being responsible.[sm=imsmilin.gif]My last tire got sooo bad I hit it with the angle grinder. Waste of time!!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:16 AM

One thing I have noticed, is riding 2 up in twisties will use up the edges of any tyres much quicker/impressively.
I guess it's the extra torque imput demanded from the motor to get both your ****'s out of the corner as quickly as you are used to getting out of the same corner one up [8D].
Best I can come up with.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM

Hi guys,

Pardon my lack of knowledge on this subject, this is the first time that I heard the term "chicken strips", from what I saw seems that this is an irregular wearing of the tire, myself I'm not a big curve-leaner type of guy and I do not know if I should pay extra attention for this type of condition of the tire, what to they look like? what may happen if I have like "a lot" of this stripes? is there any other way to get rid of them besides hitting a twisty road?

Thanks andI'm looking forward to hear on this newmatter for me.

cheers!!
Luis

Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Luis , a chicken strip is an uneven wear pattern on the rear tyre , the centre will wear out much quicker than the rest of the tyre as it is in contact with the road for much longer , hence the need for some twisty curves to lean the bike over!! In extreme cases this can affect the handling of the bike as the rear tyre will become 'squared off' and not a nice round profile. So ride everywhere in a nice 'S' pattern

Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Luis CBR1000F

Hi guys,

Pardon my lack of knowledge on this subject, this is the first time that I heard the term "chicken strips", from what I saw seems that this is an irregular wearing of the tire, myself I'm not a big curve-leaner type of guy and I do not know if I should pay extra attention for this type of condition of the tire, what to they look like? what may happen if I have like "a lot" of this stripes? is there any other way to get rid of them besides hitting a twisty road?

Thanks andI'm looking forward to hear on this newmatter for me.

cheers!!
Luis
Luis, the term refers to someone that is afraid to lean the bike over leaving untouched rubber on the outsides of the tires. Chicken refers to being scared. In the attached photo I had marked my tires with a red grease pen and went for a ride. As I leaned the bike over the asphalt rubbed the red mark off the tire and I could see how far I was leaning the bike. The 2mm strip of untouched rubber is what is called the chicken strip. I have sport-touring tires and I can’t seam to get rid of the entire strip as I start sliding in the turn rather than hooking up 100%. That is fine with me because a sport tire needs hot dry conditions to work properly and we only get a few of those days a year.

One important note: Be careful when trying to get rid of chicken strips if they have been there for a long time. That unused strip of rubber gets glazed and you may find yourself sliding into the tulips if you push it to hard. I was talking to a guy a few years back and he told me that he got busted up badly at Willow Springs when he leaned over onto glazed chicken strips. I like to keep them off because the bike gets squirrelly when leaned over in the rain and you run out of fresh rubber.

Edit: Added photo.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 PM

I always thought it referred to the little rubber threads left over from the mold when making the tire. I tend to not wear mine off because I seldom get the bike over far enough.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 PM

[sm=imsorry.gif]I must have had an old timers moment. Hang my head in shame. Funny I seem to be having them more often lately?? Here's the clincher. We both have the same first name.
And yes . As a commuter I have lots of issues with chicken strips. I still hate them though & do what I can to eliminate them but always have big handling problems later in the tire life. However I would rather ride with them than not ride at all. At least we are still responsible enough to realize the safety issues & the necessity to rid our rides of these unsightly & dangerous strips Thats what I plan to tell the nice man in his blue uniform.

Quick Reply: 1000F Chicken strips