Alternative Parts What fits where, what else will fit, resources + bike manuals

CBR1000f oilpans '95 to an '87

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The external sides of the two different pans are nearly identical.

Nearly identical.

What I have noticed about all of the "CBR" pans is this. On the the outside of "CBR" pan there should a dog-bone shaped protrusion in the casting that runs laterally between the two large fins at the front of the pan.

The "CB" pan does not have this.

This should be your first clue if looking at an oil pan on a complete engine of unknown origin or a picture of one online. The same feature can also be seen on the inside of the pan as well

Old 07-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woof,
I just got hold of this thread and checked out your first attached thumbnail. Is that a picture from goolge earth? Looks like the Afrcan subcontinent.
What happened? Did you have a low side with Zimbabwe?

Bloody good news that Africa will fit so many years (albeit upside down). Perhaps after 96 you'd need to turn to the eastern block for spares. Belarus for instance.
Press on. Please ignore my blissful ignorance......

Old 07-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
All figured out - Shakey that sump is from a CB 1000 !!!!!

LINK to fiche

Hmmmm .... I'm truly baffled now, Sprock .... the previous pic of the sump was the old sump that was removed from his bike ....

This is his bike .... Nice bike, owned for a number of years and seems pretty original????

Attached Thumbnails CBR1000f oilpans '95 to an '87-cbr-d.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by HenryM
Woof,
I just got hold of this thread and checked out your first attached thumbnail. Is that a picture from goolge earth? Looks like the Afrcan subcontinent.
What happened? Did you have a low side with Zimbabwe?

Bloody good news that Africa will fit so many years (albeit upside down). Perhaps after 96 you'd need to turn to the eastern block for spares. Belarus for instance.
Press on. Please ignore my blissful ignorance......
No Henry.

If you look closer and maybe I didn't explain well enough that if you were to take the State of Texas and turned it over, you'd see how much oil is left in its once abundant reserves. Hence, our dependency on foreign oil.

In my next installment. I'll use a cam chain tensioner to explain global warming

Last edited by wooferdog; 07-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by shakey
Hmmmm .... I'm truly baffled now, Sprock .... the previous pic of the sump was the old sump that was removed from his bike ....

This is his bike .... Nice bike, owned for a number of years and seems pretty original????
The plot thickens. I don't have an explanation. Wish I did

Here's another link to a CB1000 Pan. (No dog bone)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB-100...27f287&vxp=mtr

Shakey, I seriously cannot explain the situation other than to say I poured over microfiches and ebay listings before I accepted PMCG's offer for his '95 pan. EVERYTHING checked out.

Some of the parts sites did want to get VIN specific. Maybe there was a shortage of CBR motors and CB motors were installed (Dodge and VW were notorious for installing whatever was left in the parts bin) According to Motorcyclist Magazine the internal differences milder cams, smaller carbs and a 5-speed box

This may sound like I'm grasping at straws here and I am

Last edited by wooferdog; 07-15-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Not sure if we'll get to the bottom of this, Woof .... but at least everyone's now back on the road

Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by shakey
Not sure if we'll get to the bottom of this, Woof .... but at least everyone's now back on the road
Check this out, Shakey.

Maybe my oridgnal research was flawed.

Here's a link to a '90 pan that Sprock and I both vetted in the original Busted Sump thread. I almost bought this one.

90 Honda CBR 1000 CBR1000 Engine Oil Pan 33G | eBay

It doesn't have the dog bone thingy

There may be TWO different oil pans and various years may have either of them (might be the reason some of the parts houses were VIN specific)

I guess that the real result of all of this is, check your original pan and look for the dog bone or lack thereof before buying the first good deal on a replacement you come across.

I was lucky

This is the best and probably the only explanation that I can offer.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who's to say a CB1000 does not fit either ! - might be one of those Honda anomalies !

Old 07-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Who's to say a CB1000 does not fit either ! - might be one of those Honda anomalies !

An example that comes to mind here is the Ford 351 V8. The 351 Cleveland and the 351 Windsor were made for a good long time and could end up in any number of Ford vehicles over the years Only a letter code in the VIN would tell you which motor you had

Virtually nothing was interchangeable between the two motors

Are we seeing a variation on that same theme?

Another explanation could be a supply chain matter. Perhaps Honda ran out of CBR oiler parts and subbed CB parts instead to keep the assembly line moving

Last edited by wooferdog; 07-15-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: CBR1000f oilpans '95 to an '87