Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

Sprocket question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Partsguy... 3 to 1 does not apply to every gear ratio provided stock, and to indicate this is false. I dont care how long you worked on moto's "dude", you completely mised my points and decide to pick at specifics that may, or may not, apply to your bike. I did NOT say this applies to all bikes, and my advice is sound. Some bikes do tend to trail off after 6500-6800 RPMs, and if your dyno shows otherwise, congrats to you! I have seen dyno's and if you look at them you will ALWAYS see the power trailing off at higher RPMs, and the range may differ on some bikes, but the reality is still the same. The advice is sound and the principles are correct. And if you think stock plugs run great on engines running at high RPMs all the time, or frequently, than I seriously question your racing history. Higher RPMs mean more heat, and a slightly colder plug helps with this heat dissapation. I know what I am talking about, and to discount sound advice over specifics that may, or may not, apply to every bike is akin to arguing the sun is not hot because you live at the north pole. Maybe does not apply to every circumstance, but the priciple is correct.
You want to argue that I am wrong that the rear is always easiest and best way to fine tune your sprocket ratios? You want to argue that engines run hotter at high RPMs? You want to argue that open exhausts affect the combustion chamber and unburnt fuel ratios? You seriously want to say to me that you are some kind of guru, but that these simple and obvious things are untrue? Please spare me... dont talk if I dont know what I am talking about? I think this applies more to your comments than mine. I dont claim to be a moto GOD like you, just that experience dictates simple solutions for these problems. I will argue the priniciples anytime you like, but to argue about specific bikes when I am talking generalities is a complete waste of time.
I was trying to help this guy with sound an simple advice. This is a help forum and not for arguing about sillt details that may, or may not, apply to this guys bike. This is why I talk about general principles. Read my post completely before you jump to conclusions... the only "spewing" here is your criticism of simple advice that applies in priciple - period.
I think you should answer his question with complete details and specs that apply to his bike since you are the "all knowing" racing guru. Please spare me this egotistical crap. Just help the guy out and stop wasting my time with this silly nonsense.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Boys boys.... Let it go.

For starters this thread is going on 2 months old without a followup from the thread starter. No reason to raise teh dead for nothing.

Secondly, when you respond to a thread about a SPECIFIC bike , then your responses are going to be held in regard as such. Generalizations are not applicable, I'm sorry.

Third, to be honest Cullin, I have issues with some of your "facts" as well. IMO some are inaccurate and most are certainly not applicable in this situation. But again, none of it applies in this thread. If you want to argue basic theory then do it on a thread on such , provide backing data and welcome on open debate if your confident in your findings.

Other than that...

I think the OP has more than enough to answer his questions at this point, no sense in getting fired up over nothing.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM

zaqwert6... I agree with your assessment... I did not see the need to be specific in this case, but as I am new to this forum I will take more care in this... to answer your question on facts:

Please see this newsletter from NGK as to plug design and benefits:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/te...plications.pdf

Please see this basic exhaust velocity description regarding diameteer and baffling effects:

Exhaust flow, noise, and design

and lastly find this connection for calculation sprocket ratios and affects:

Sprocket Calculator - the easy motorcycle sprocket and chain calculator

Thanks for the advice, and enjoy the facts provided (did not want to get too complicated with the facts... just the standard stuff

Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Cullin Brasil
zaqwert6... I agree with your assessment... I did not see the need to be specific in this case, but as I am new to this forum I will take more care in this... to answer your question on facts:

Please see this newsletter from NGK as to plug design and benefits:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/te...plications.pdf

Please see this basic exhaust velocity description regarding diameteer and baffling effects:

Exhaust flow, noise, and design

and lastly find this connection for calculation sprocket ratios and affects:

Sprocket Calculator - the easy motorcycle sprocket and chain calculator

Thanks for the advice, and enjoy the facts provided (did not want to get too complicated with the facts... just the standard stuff
No worries.

Like everyone else I build and race all my own engines as well as the 3 bikes I currently own, so I feel pretty good about my knowledge on the subject after 30 years elbow deep in the field. So we can go at it another time I'm sure.

Welcome to forum , if you haven't been yet.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Keep them stock.