Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

lowering links/kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering links/kit

hi all! my girlfriend just bought a 97 cbr 600 f3 and she's kinda short so we need to lower it. i was just wondering if any you could give me some info on lowering the bike. could i get away with just a lowering link? or would i have to get a kit to lower the front and rear? and after it's lowered will it handle like it should? if any of you have any info i would appreciate it very much!
thanks!

Old 02-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Default RE: lowering links/kit

I am not sure if they sell the lowering link for the rear, however, you can lower the front by just unscrewing the triple clamp on the top and be careful because once all the nuts are loose, the front will drop. Have someone else help you hold the front and you can lower it to however she likes and able to flat foot.

I lowered my bike very very low. I can stand up normal and the bike sits under my legs. Well, the handling and performance will decrease dramatically, I guess not dramatically but in terms of cornering and taking turns...BE CAREFUL! I was not careful and could not make the turn because the bike was not able to lean due to the fact I lowered it waayyy too much and I had to lay it down before I went into the wall.

Lower the front and that alone should be sufficient but dont go slamming the bike too low.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:14 PM

thanks alot for the info i really appreciate it!

Old 02-15-2005, 07:21 PM

Try other alternatives then lowering the bike. Lowering the bike is the worst thing you can do. Bikes were designed at a specific height for a reason. How they handle, corner, ride, and steer is based on that ride height. There are several other things you can do safely to change the ride height. First off, buy a spare seat off ebay and shave the foam down. You can easily get about an inch drop by shaving the foam on the seat. If you feel comfortable doing it on the seat that came with the bike, thats fine. I just reccomend getting a spare to be safe. Get your girlfriend some boots with a bigger soul on the bottom. I've seen some short riders wear boots that add a half inch or more to the soul. That will help also. It's ideal to flat foot a bike, but not necessary. She can learn to ride and handle the bike without having to flat foot it at a stop.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:35 AM
L8X

i agree, my friend lowered his 600rr, and now no only does it look like ****, it's rides like ****....please dont do it.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:05 AM

thanks you guys for the input and sugestions.i'm glad there's people out there who know what they're talking about and are willing to share their knowlage.all i know is that i have to figure something out so she can ride that bike this summer. thanks again all.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:25 PM

I am also vertically challenge LOL and I lowered my 00 F4 by replacing the "dog bones" in the rear and dropped the front to match. I am not sure about the previous advice about the bike handling like crap because mine certainly does not! The links were bought off ebay for like $40-$50.