Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

engine neon in NY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine neon in NY?

Taking the advice of many people on this site, i decided to take the MSF course to get my liscense. I started it today and it was great. The one thing i had asked my instructor was if engine neon is street legal in NY? People had given me mixed answers and i figured with how strict the state is, it was probably illegal. To my surprise, he said it was completely legal, can anyone confirm this?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Default RE: engine neon in NY?

This is a good question. I personally have some undertail neon but I have been reluctant to use it because I'd really hate to be harassed by a cops non-stop about it. From what I know it varies from state to state. I've been trying to research this for Arizona (where I live) and haven't found the answer here yet. More and more states are starting to legalize it though for motorcycles. Here's a link stating it's completely legal in PA.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/In_Pennsylvania_is_it_legal_to_operate_a_motorcycl e_that_is_equipped_with_colored_neon_lights_or_LED 's

I'd do some more research for your state though before decorating your bike like a christmas tree.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:29 PM

For bikes I was always told its legal because it make you more visable.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 AM

Officially, the ONLY lights permitted by the NY State Vehicle & Traffic Law on any vehicle are to be either the standard red or amber. The sole purpose of these lights are to identify the vehicle at night or in limited visibility. Any additional lights of any other color or lights of any color that may distract another vehicle are illegal.
So I guess the question is: What color are your lights and in what manner are they displayed? In my experience, if your neons/LEDs are excessively bright, project forward onto oncoming traffic, or onto the roadway below your bike, it's no good. If you just have a few lights that kinda accent your engine or framework, you're OK.
Remember, those safety courses are private companies, and don't always know every little law the state has. On the other side of the same coin, not every cop knows every little law the state has, so if you don't overdo it, they probably won't bother you. Theunapproved color will probably be the main reason a cop will stop you. Trust me, I'm one of them and we're not all as bad as some people try to make us out to be...

If you want to look it up yourself, a full description is in the NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law, Sec. 375.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Squarebaj

Officially, the ONLY lights permitted by the NY State Vehicle & Traffic Law on any vehicle are to be either the standard red or amber. The sole purpose of these lights are to identify the vehicle at night or in limited visibility. Any additional lights of any other color or lights of any color that may distract another vehicle are illegal.
So I guess the question is: What color are your lights and in what manner are they displayed? In my experience, if your neons/LEDs are excessively bright, project forward onto oncoming traffic, or onto the roadway below your bike, it's no good. If you just have a few lights that kinda accent your engine or framework, you're OK.
Remember, those safety courses are private companies, and don't always know every little law the state has. On the other side of the same coin, not every cop knows every little law the state has, so if you don't overdo it, they probably won't bother you. Theunapproved color will probably be the main reason a cop will stop you. Trust me, I'm one of them and we're not all as bad as some people try to make us out to be...

If you want to look it up yourself, a full description is in the NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law, Sec. 375.
Very Nice. I was trying to find the same thing for Az. The problem is I can't actually find where to look up the State's laws. Is there a website they're published in?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:47 AM

Omega, check out this site: http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedS...s.asp?Title=28

Scroll to Article 16... Sect. 28-940 is probably the answer you're looking for, it kinda says the same as my last post as far as light colors. And again, this is the strict regulation of the law, I bet most cops out there don't even know this section. Using some common sense is usually what will keep people out of trouble...

Old 07-21-2007, 03:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Squarebaj

Omega, check out this site: http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedS...s.asp?Title=28

Scroll to Article 16... Sect. 28-940 is probably the answer you're looking for, it kinda says the same as my last post as far as light colors. And again, this is the strict regulation of the law, I bet most cops out there don't even know this section. Using some common sense is usually what will keep people out of trouble...
Thanks Square, that's perfect! I searched everywhere for a site with all that. You're the google guru! I'm deffinetly throwing that page under my bookmarks. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 AM

No problem, it was interesting to see the laws from all over and what's allowed to be done in different places. Oklahoma is like the Wild
West, I don't think they care what you do out there!

If you have some pics of your LED's/neons, please post...I just picked up some LED's from Oznium.com and am trying to find good hiding places for them and how crazy to go...