Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

Cam Chain Tensioner - Why upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Chain Tensioner - Why upgrade?

Alright folks... I just asked this question in the "CBR Zone" but I figured I would open it here as well. At the risk of sounding dumb, what exactly is the CCT's function and why would you want to put an aftermarket tensioner on your bike?

I mean, I know the affects of modifying exhaust, intake and fuel systems, sprocket sizes, adding a steering damper, swapping stock brake lines for braided lines, etc. but I am clueless when it comes to the CCT. CBR Zone says that it's a "must do mod" so I just want to know why.

Thanks for the input...

Old 05-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Default RE: Cam Chain Tensioner - Why upgrade?

The aftermarket cct is not a performance upgrade as far as I have ever heard but more of a solid maintenance solution. Less moving parts to fail type thing.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:02 PM

When the oem cct goes bad, it looses hydrolic pressure and causes the cam chain to get loose, resulting in erratic timing and some power loss. An aftermarket tensioner isn't hydrolic. It's adjustable and if installed correctly, you'll never have a cct problem again.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:44 AM

Hey thanks guys... I guess when the stock CCT goes bad I'll think about putting an APE on there instead of an OEM part.

Is it difficult to adjust the tensioner? I mean, you don't need a mechanic to do that do ya?

Thanks again...

Old 05-26-2006, 06:04 PM

I just changed mine to the APE manual CCT and it wasn't really difficult but more time consuming since I did't have much room to work with so I had to mess around with it for a while, it was well worth the trouble. Once I changed it I would never go back to the OEM part, my bike rides so much smoother and I can ride at 5500rpms and not worry about that damn sound of BB's running in my engine. As for a mechanic no, follow the tutorial on cbrworld.net, follow this link http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/85183.aspx

Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 PM

has anyone attempted to install the new automatic CCT? or have they just used the manual since it's probably cheaper?

Old 06-01-2006, 04:34 PM

snlf4i - Damn I was wondering what that sound was. It's not always bad but you're right, the 5k-5.5k rpm range in 2nd gear really gets things rattling. I honestly had no clue it was the cam chain... hmmm, learn something new every day.

Guess I'll have to look into that sometime soon... maybe a 2006-2007 winter mod!!!

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:51 PM

is it true that the oem cct goes every 2-7g miles and does it fail on all f4i's , and should i replace it now or wait for it to fail

Old 06-12-2006, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: sickshifter21

is it true that the oem cct goes every 2-7g miles and does it fail on all f4i's , and should i replace it now or wait for it to fail
Well I don't know about every 2-7,000 miles... but I haven't read anything good about the stock part! So I'm sure it goes bad on all of them. I just rolled 12k miles on my bike and the stock part hasn't destroyed anything as of yet so I don't think it's an absolute "requirement" to replace it. But that will be one of my next mods this winter.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:56 AM

sickshifter21

From all the different opinions I have read about the OEM CCT most people say it is more of a nuisance then a problem of it failing and messing stuff up. I found it to be very much worth the work changing it to the APE manual CCT. It doesn't rattle and it feels like the bike is running smoother.

I'm not sure if it was because of the gas or the OEM CCT, it seems like I have been getting better gas mileage with the APE CCT. I went from 36 mpg to at least 41 mpg. I've changed from Chevron to BP. What type of gas mileage is everyone getting? What type of gas are you using?

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Tensioner - Why upgrade?