900 & + Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older models, 900 and up.

Jet kit & Full Exhaust on '96 900rr, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet kit & Full Exhaust on '96 900rr, worth it?

i absolutely love my 900rr, but wish it was fuel injected at times, but my question is....does anyone that have done these mods, jet kit and full exhaust. have you seen a real difference in performance, torque, horsepower, and really truely response is what i'm really after(i think) i just want to make smart mods to my baby without endangering her relaibility(she hasn't let me down...knock on wood) but also keepo her up to date with some of the newer but sparse upgrades. thanks for the input in advance

Old 01-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Default RE: Jet kit & Full Exhaust on '96 900rr, worth it?

update, i'm gonna go with the jet kit and a slash cut pipe
choice in pipe due to alot of riders down in florida have been getting hit by cars many of the drivers claiming they didn't see or hear them. it may be a lil obnoxious but i love the look

Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 AM

My bike came with a BMC air filter and Leo Vince exhaust can (road legal) fitted already, which was nice - but it had an annoying problem where it would hesitate when I rolled off / on the throttle - typically when entering a corner [sm=insomnia.gif].

I tried putting the standard exhaust back on which helped a little, but it was sooooo quiet - and didn't fix the problem completely. I thought about getting a standard air filter, but as I prefer the Leo exhaust decided to try a Dynojet kit.

It has made a huge difference to the fuelling - the problem I had is gone and it pulls smoothly now.

As for power / torque - well allegedly I have gained 1 or 2 bhp, but in real terms it makes bugger-all difference. I defy anyone to notice the difference between 119 and 121 bhp!

For me, the gain has been in the improved fuelling which I suppose makes the bike easier to ride quickly - but if you want noticable power gains you might be disappointed. But these models are notorious for reacting badly to air filter / exhaust swaps so I look at the re-jet as just part of the package.

Good luck with the mods!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:39 PM

i'm hoping it will work out well. i'm getting my fork seals done atm, and i will experiment with the exhaust before i make a final decision (noise ordinances permiting ) on the chop on my pipe

Old 01-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed with Destructo. Mine is running with KN filter, a can and jetted. I didn't find huge difference or absolute power but the throttle response is much more crispier. Acceleration especially when taking corners is awesome too.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 AM

thats exactly what i'm looking for, not necessarily the horsepower. i know how to get to it when i need it but i got my bike yesterday and now i'm gonna experiment with the can off and on to decide if i will go the route of an aftermarket, chopped version of my current exhaust(older two brothers repacked) or a complete slash pipe close to the bootom of the bike.
A second question that i have is with the jet kits, two bros has a titanium kit thats aconf. 1.1 TiI believe which i think would best match up with my engine( no mods to my engine as of yet )
thanks again for all the input
I know they offer a bang up kit conf. 2.1 but thats with an engine with internal mods

Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 AM

i have taken my muffler off my bike and man does she sound mean its been of for a few weeks. today was my first test of actual everyday riding and no hiccups or issues with power delivery so far. so i plan on going foward with cutting my exhaust and my stage 1 jet kit(i know its mild) should be in the works in the months to come. I will have some pics posted if anyone is interested soon, i'm still in the process of getting the cosmetics done also.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:29 PM

on my first run on the highway, i was sorely disappointed in the sound of my beast wide open. so i'm back to the drawing board as what to do with my exhuast but good new is my jet kit shall soon be installed in by the end of february

Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Default burn your valves up!!!

yea not smart to run open pipes,you take the risk of burning up your exhaust valves,the bikes dont run very rich,more to the lean side,so unless you add a stage 3 jet kit and run more towards rich side,you will burn up your valves.

Get a stage one jet kit and a slip on pipe,if you cant afford a full exhaust.Afull exhaust would be better,cause the header is the gain in hp when you put on a full exhaust.The filter is ok,you dont gain much,but least you have for lifetime of bike,clean and reuse k&N bmc filters.Its better to modify air box and get more ram air in box,but that only kicks in on top end.Oh and never remove the air filter and run with no filter,just to get more air to carbs,big mistake that most guys do and you lose power also.

But yea, you also hurt top end on your bike with open pipe,the lower cc bikes need some kind of back pressure.Even the newer fuel injected bikes that run slash cut open pipes run risk of burning up valves,thats why you need a programmer for fi bikes.

Good luck

Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM

thanks for th at bit of info, i've since reinstalled my pipe. still working on getting my jet kit. I may only do a stage 1, just because of my current budget.

Quick Reply: Jet kit & Full Exhaust on '96 900rr, worth it?