600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

started making my undertail finally

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default started making my undertail finally

Well i finally got some free time to try my hand at fabing up a custom undertail since they don't make one for the 600rr unless you get the hotbodies one and they still want 200 bux for one unpainted.

well here is the beginning.
I started with a cardboard template and then transfered it to a 1.5" thick piece of foam board. which i then used my air angle grinder to gouge out a spot for the wheel and to contour it to the bike and taillight. I sprayglued some aluminum foil on it to use it as a mold to make a reverse mold off of. or at least try to. unless anyone has any better suggestions????

Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: started making my undertail finally

great idea. Lay an even layer of fiberglass across it, then some sanding/trimming and you should be good to go.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:26 AM

ya i planned on that but i was gonna try to make a mold out of what i got so i could replicate a few and try different stuff with turn signals and possibly sell some off to the others that have used the 600rr tail

Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 AM

like i wonder if i could mix up resin or some sort of epoxy and put it into a pan and sit this down into it so it comes up to the sides a little. Let that setup, remove my aluminum foil covered styrofoam and then clean up the "mold", paint it, wax it. use a mold release then i could pour resin into it and lay fiberglass on top. then id get a nice smooth underside and it would be perfectly sized with little trimming and be repeateable

Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
CBRF 2009 AOTY !!

If I read that right, you are going to end up with a mold of the square bottom side of the foam. I'll tell you how to do it, but it will cost you exactly one Hyperpro dampner and bracket! lol j/k, let me know if you don't figure something out, I shouldbe able to walk you through it.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:30 PM

well what i am trying to acheive is taking the undetail i have made in foam and making a mold off of it ( a reverse of it ) so i can then make a couple of the now aluminum covered foam undertail exactly the same but in fiberglass. i have been reading up on mold making and im hoping i can make it work with what i got because the foam fits perfect now and i would hate to have to make another. If you could offer any help rsp i would greatly appreciate it. I am good with fiberglass but never made a mold before.

as for the damper, well i don't think i could part with such a wanted item LOL

Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 PM

well i got it all made up finally. I actually used my father in laws idea of using plaster of paris as a mold. Just mixed it up in a tub that just fit my styrofoam part, let it set up and then cleaned it up a bit. after a couple hours it was good to go so applied some mold release ( wax) then i mixed up 20oz of resin and poured it in the mold and kept pilling on layers of glass untill i was happy with it. i gave it 2 hours and then popped it out of the mold aka busted the hell outta the plaster LOL. The part fits awesome! so now i just gotta buy some more bondo to fix some of the flaws and make it a nice paintable surface and i should have some pics soon

Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 PM
CBRF 2009 AOTY !!

We don't want pics soon, we want pics now!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM

updates?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM

sorry been busy.. I'll snap a few of where im at with it.

Quick Reply: started making my undertail finally