CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-43/)
-   -   My 94 CBR600 F2 mod log. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-43/my-94-cbr600-f2-mod-log-132765/)

That Guy in Maine 12-05-2011 09:27 PM

My 94 CBR600 F2 mod log.

3 Attachment(s)
NEW PICTURES ON PAGE 2.

Alright, so I picked this up about a week ago, it is about to be winter here in Maine which means riding is out of the question, and also means that modifications are what I'll be working on this winter. So, here are some basic details on my motorcycle.

Bike : 1994 Honda CBR600 F2
Purchased on : Sunday, the 27th of November, 2011.
Estimated mileage : 15,xxx
Condition : mechanically good, plastics missing (mostly) and a few other damages.

Pictures :
Attachment 42915
Attachment 42916
Attachment 42917

Obviously, not the prettiest bike, but that doesn't mean she won't get fixed up nice!

Planned modifications :
1. Remove gas tank, sand down, repaint.
2. Modify gauge cluster.
3. Replace front tire.
4. Replace exhaust.
5. Sand and paint wheels.
6. Purchase new handlebar grips, replace right clip on, throttle and clutch/brake levers and install.
7. Replace clutch cable.
8. Install rear turn signals and mirrors.
9. Replace all fluids, lube chain, general maintenance.
10. Build set of custom fairings.

Plus many more I'm sure!

**Mods will not be executed in this order**

In depth mod plans :

1. Remove gas tank, sand down, repaint.
Started : 2/3/12
Finished : N/A
I took the tank off last Friday and started to sand it down to bare metal. Hopefully will be able to finish the sanding in one or two more days (depending on how long it takes me to do the concaved parts). Plan right now is to spray it with primer, paint it with black, then I'm going to apply 3 or 4 layers of Plasti-dip and let it cure for a few days.

2. Modify gauge cluster.
Started : N/A
I have a set of gauges that I am going to take apart and mount on a custom front fairing.

3. Replace front tire.
I'm going to replace the front tire.

4. Replace exhaust.
Started : 1/5/12
Finished : 1/5/12
I ordered a used Yoshi exhaust from a 93 600CBRF2 with 14K miles on it, slipped right onto the bike and it sounds great!

5. Sand and paint wheels.
Sand down the wheels and paint them according to color scheme.

6. Purchase new handlebar grips, replace right clip on, throttle and clutch/brake levers and install.
Started : 12/16/11
Finished : 1/5/12
I ordered my throttle tube and grip from my local Honda dealership, installed in a few days later (somewhere around the project start date). I then got a straight clip on and a master cylinder/brake lever and installed them all today. Need to wire them up, but no big deal.

7. Replace clutch cable.
Purchase and replace the clutch cable (current one is slightly frayed).

8. Install rear turn signals and mirrors.
Bike currently has no rear turn signals or mirrors, need these for it to be street legal, so I am going to get some mirrors and install them, as well as rear turn signals.

9. Replace all fluids, replace? chain, general maintenance.
Going to drain all fluids and refill, install new oil filter, clean and lube chain, oil all cables that should be, POSSIBLY get the carburetors cleaned (bike runs pretty good right now).

10. Build my own set of "stealth bomber" fairings.
I am going to start building a set of stealth bomber fairings for the bike.

gotcbr 12-05-2011 11:31 PM

Your mod log will either become your motivator or your nemesis. ;-)

Proceed w/ vigor!

That Guy in Maine 12-06-2011 08:42 AM

Well, I just bought a set of used original clip on handlebars off eBay. Should be coming late this week or next week most likely. Have to go to the dealership and get a throttle tube and I might just get a grip from them as well just to have it. Going to get a clutch cable too.

Should start some work next week at the latest (hopefully).

Atrom 12-06-2011 06:16 PM

I have a set of fairings if you are interested

That Guy in Maine 12-06-2011 07:04 PM

Message sent!

scorpionvmu 12-06-2011 11:12 PM

so out of street fighter back to original look. nice.

baboex 12-07-2011 11:17 PM

Looks like a fun project, I'm doing the same thing, using winter to bring my bike back to its original glory.

That Guy in Maine 12-12-2011 09:55 AM

So, I think I am going to change my plans. I am going to attempt to make my own "plastics" for the bike out of fiberglass. I know how to make parts and such, and I'm sure I can figure out mounting brackets, it will also give me the look I want.

Has anybody tried doing something similar to this?

That Guy in Maine 12-18-2011 05:18 PM

So...finished a few small tasks on the list!

1. I replaced the throttle tube and grip!
2. Wired the rear blinkers, just need to figure out how to mount them now.

Plenty more projects to tackle, but it's a good start!

davideokills 12-20-2011 11:09 PM

"So, I think I am going to change my plans. I am going to attempt to make my own "plastics" for the bike out of fiberglass. I know how to make parts and such, and I'm sure I can figure out mounting brackets, it will also give me the look I want."

I just winged it with no experience in fiberglass at all. First piece I tried "tail" is heavy and should be redone but it is going to stay for now. It got cold so I was only able to do one side cover but it went a lot smoother and looks/feels much better. The cost to fab your own adds up pretty quick and takes some time but it does allow you to try and achieve "the look you want".

Maybe start with some drawings or paper cardboard mock ups so you can get some feed back on them. You can see how far I got with them in this thread:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fi...-131185/page4/

davideokills 12-20-2011 11:13 PM

This site is nice for ideas or even pieces that you cut/add to:
HONDA fairing, fairings, bodywork, fairing, upper, lower, mid, seat side, race, street, fender, tail, undertail, tank, CBR, RS125, RC51, 600RR, CR750, CB750, VRF, RVF FAIRING AND BODYWORK

That Guy in Maine 12-22-2011 12:38 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

Right now I'm not entirely sure the direction I want to go with this bike. I either want to replace all the fairings and such...OR I want to improve on the street fighter look by putting on tail fairings and moving mounting up the plate and blinkers nice and close to the frame.

I have to decide soon!

That Guy in Maine 01-05-2012 04:56 PM

WooHoo!

My parts came today!

Installed...
Yoshi muffler
Front brake lever
Replacement right clip on (this one's straight!)

Now I need to work on the wiring for the front brake lever, replace the pads, and drain all the brake fluid out and replace it.

That Guy in Maine 01-10-2012 04:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, here are a few pictures just to point out what I did and how the handlebar was bent...it was pretty bad! The Yoshi I installed isn't in perfect shape, but it makes the bike a lot nicer than straight pipes! Also included a new picture of how my bike was at the start of this project.

Attachment 42141

Attachment 42142

Attachment 42143

But I still need to mount the blinkers up, they're just sitting on the bike currently...but a mount shouldn't be too hard to do, have the materials at the shop. Speaking of which, thanks to my school I have a full automotive shop to work with now! Woohoo! So now I can weld, drill, bend, cut, etc... whatever I want! The bike is sitting there now, loaded it into the bed of my friends truck today...never driven a bike up such a steep incline, let alone one that's only a foot wide. I've ridden a mountain bike up steeper and smaller things, but the motorcycle is a lot scarier! But it went without problem for the most part and popped right into the truck. Drove it to the shop and unloaded it there. Tomorrow I will start with the license plate mount and turn signal mounts, should be able to get both those things done in one class, if I can't then I will finish it the next day.

EDIT : Also forgot, I am going to try to test the replacement gauges I bought with the other parts tomorrow. Just going to plug them in and hook the speedo up. Hoping it all works well!

That Guy in Maine 01-20-2012 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another update! A few things to list here...

First, I got the gauges hooked up and tried them out, all the lights and gauges seem to work except for the high beam light. Speedo seems to work right but I can't test it perfectly...all I know is that it moves when I twist my wrist :)

Next up, I ordered an Alpinestars Stunter leather jacket in blue/white. Should be here next week!

Next...I have my bike at my school now so it's being stored indoors in a nice heated building for free! I currently have the gas tank off, and am soon going to start doing some modifications to the bike. I think I'm going in a COMPLETELY different direction than anything I had planned.

My idea?

Take this...
Attachment 41966

and then put some of this on it...
http://sandyspadaro.com/wp-content/u...lth-bomber.jpg

Specifically, I'm thinking I will be making my own fairings out of some metal with the kind of stealth fighter look. But the first step for now is to get some cardboard and mock up some body panels. I think it will look really cool, but things always look good in your head so I'm going to start with some cardboard like I said.

Can't wait to get started!

davideokills 01-23-2012 09:24 AM

Yeah do it! Maybe some wings in the tail section with LED lights for turn signals. I was going to do something like that in a 59 Cadillac style on a CB 750 I have once I finish up my two current projects.
http://www.kustomrama.com/images/thu...9-cadillac.jpg

That Guy in Maine 01-26-2012 11:00 AM

So I took my twoo front master cylinders and combined them to make one good one! I am going to fill them up today and bleed the front and rear lines (hopefully I'll have time). The next thing on my list is to clean the air filter, I have it exposed currently so I just need to open it and clean the filter.

After that I need to drain my gas tank and clean it and coat it. I don't know much about this though...does anybody have suggestions on what to do with a gas tank? It's pretty old since it's a 94, as far as I know it has no leaks so would draining it, flushing it with water, and then letting it dry out for a few days in a heated garage suffice? What kind of coating do you apply to the inside?

In other news, I got my Clymer manual today, really cool to go through and probably going to be very helpful. I also finished one of my projects yesterday which was switching out the rear suspension. I replaced it with a 1993 rear shock which didn't have a canister...any ideas what I should put in my canister holder, trying to think of something cool but haven't given it much thought yet, I might try to make a second helmet holder in case I take a passenger or something.

That's all for now, will keep updating as I go, I'll have some pictures next week probably.

That Guy in Maine 02-07-2012 08:34 PM

Last Friday I started sanding down my gas tank and prepping it for paint. I was using an electric sanding tool but it was taking awhile to sand the paint off and was hard to do anything but the top of the tank because the disk was so large. I figured I might as well give some paint stripper a shot and see if I could save some time...and oh boy does it ever!!

The tank is probably 70% stripped of paint, there is still some in the gas cap area and the edges...but the rest is down to metal for the most part. I think I will apply another coat of this stuff tomorrow and let it do it's work and hope that it can get it all of. Whatever it doesn't remove I will just hand sand off. After I finish sanding it all I am going to put primer on itt and a few coats of flat black. Then I will apply 3 or 4 coats of black plasti-dip.

Next thing to do after the tank is start building the what I am calling "sub-frame" for my custom fairings. More info on that next time I update, hopefully I will have some pictures then too. I think I can take some tomorrow.

That Guy in Maine 02-08-2012 03:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Woohoo! Pictures!

Not much to show right now but...here's some pictures of the gas tank and one of the right handlebar (the one I replaced completely).

Attachment 41587
Attachment 41588
Attachment 41589
Attachment 41590

Next step now is finish up around the edges, sand out the 2 small rust spots on the edge of the tank, hand sand the entire tank to get it roughed up and ready for primer, prime it, paint it, plasti-dip it, and reinstall it!

Only bad news is I can't start any of that until next week :(

That Guy in Maine 02-16-2012 07:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 41339

Attachment 41340
Attachment 41341
Attachment 41342

I tried posting these from my iPhone but the mobile version doesn't have an edit button and only could post the first one...darn.

Anyways, primer is on the tank, that was taken earlier this week on Monday, I am going to sand it a bit today and MAYBE put a coat of paint on it, not sure yet though.

It's getting there!

That Guy in Maine 05-03-2012 09:59 PM

Well, I haven't updated this in awhile...

Let's start off where I left off!

After priming the tank, I painted it black...it came out really good and my next few coats were going to be clear...but somehow the tank got kicked over in the metals shop and got scraped up. Luckily not dented though...but enough to scrape down to the primer. I have yet to repaint it, I'm going to do it near the end of the semester just in case somebody kicks it again.

Anyways, after that I guess the next thing would be wiring and gauges...I spent a good bit of time on this, and really it's been a pointless project, just been doing it so I can register and get the bike street legal before I get my fairings (more on that below).

I'll get some pictures tomorrow, but basically I have the tach and speedo mounted in the most jerry-rigged way I think possible. I took two hose clamps, welded a bead connecting the two adjustment screw holders and then tightened the gauges in haha, wired them up and got them working, wasn't too hard really, just looks really bad. Especially with the crappy front street fighter fairing thing...

But hey, they're gauges right? I have a full cluster just waiting to go in...once I get the fairing stay and the fairings I want.

Now, over my spring break I jumped in my car and headed down to a bit past Boston, ended up being in the car for 8 hours total...but I went with my brother so that added some time and it was fun. But anyways, went down to get a full fairing set, windscreen, brake light, seat, gauges, and blinkers for $75...plus like $60 in gas, and $20 in tolls, and $30 in food and crap. Anyways, ended up costing me about $185 or something like that, would have been a great deal...except the gauges go to the F3...and I have an F2. But that's not all. The fairings are broken, plus I'm fairing sure they go to an F3 because they don't line up to any fairing mounts on my F2. The paint on them is also terrible. The windscreen has sticker goo all over it and is cloudy...can't really be used. So I ended up paying $185 for a seat which is ripped (cracked really because it's super dry), a tail light, and front blinkers...and wasted a day of vacation. Well...live in learn I guess.

Next up, I went to hook the blinkers up, wired everything up, connected everything, and nothing was working, I thought I blew the relay so i headed on up to the store, got a relay and that burnt out instantly, so for the heck of it I threw the old one on, changed the wires up...and it worked! So whatever, wasted $5 but at least it works now...only problem is it still clicks 100% of the time when the bike is running, so I guess I have to get a new one anyways...but at least the blinkers work now.

My tail light was replaced as well, so no cracks in that anymore.

Now all I need to get it street legal is put mirrors on, and install rear blinkers and replace the low beam bulb.

I am really hoping I can get a set of fairings though, I am not a huge fan of my bike being naked, but we'll see where it goes...pictures tomorrow!

That Guy in Maine 05-06-2012 06:17 PM

Well, after looking into some fairings online and trying to match up the ones I bought in Boston it turns out that they're a set of $895 fairings and they do, indeed go to the F2.

Turns out the tail fairings (the one I had been basing my judgement on) wasn't sliding over a piece and that's why it wouldn't line up. Stupid me I guess...but oh well, I have another set ordered from a member on here. I also got a headlight, mirrors, and windscreen from him...I need a fairing stay (if you have one, please sell it to me) to get the bike street legal, I'm rather excited right now.

Anyways, as for the fairings I bought before, I am going to take them to the shop tomorrow and try to sand them down and get them smooth, fix the cracks and resand them then put some primer on them and paint them white probably. At that point I'm going to sell them...so if anybody is looking for some fairings for an F2, I've got some!

That Guy in Maine 05-21-2012 12:52 PM

Alright, well it looks like I might be taking my MSF in about a week if all goes well! Can't wait to get my license!

Still need to do a few things, and get the bike registered/street legal, but that should all happen within the next 2 weeks and I hope to be road ready around my birthday (June 16th).

Hopefully somebody will buy me motorcycle gear for my birthday too...but we'll see!

In other news, got screwed over again on fairings, we'll see where this goes...hopefully it works out.

That Guy in Maine 06-07-2012 12:58 AM

Alright, license soon I hope. Maybe 2 weeks away...classes are tough to schedule with work, plus I have to get some days off for a college thing.

Anyways, looking at gear now, trying to complete my set. Hopefully will have everything I need to start riding soon! Can't wait!!

Also, has anybody used probolts?

I'm looking to buy...

http://www.probolt-usa.com/index.php...l#.T9A6w7CLO8A

http://www.probolt-usa.com/index.php...air-black.html

http://www.probolt-usa.com/index.php...l#.T9BDJLCLO8A

For my bike and want to know if anybody has used them before?

Thanks!

Will.Bass 06-07-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine (Post 1167162)
Alright, license soon I hope. Maybe 2 weeks away...classes are tough to schedule with work, plus I have to get some days off for a college thing.

Anyways, looking at gear now, trying to complete my set. Hopefully will have everything I need to start riding soon! Can't wait!!

Also, has anybody used probolts?

I'm looking to buy...

Aluminium Fairing Kit CBR600 FM-FR-FS-FT '91-'96 Black

Aluminium Valve Dust Cap - Pair - Black

Aluminium Number Plate Kit Black

For my bike and want to know if anybody has used them before?

Thanks!

i dont think there is anything bad to say about them. it is a bit of a pain, but you could get ALL of those bolts at your local hardware store. might not be anodized black, but I would see the trade off in price for stainless bolts being worth it..
Its might just be me, but the locations your looking at putting that stuff just wouldnt be worth it. i could validate getting the fancy valve stem screws. but plate and fairing screws are pretty secluded IMO. its a different story if you were talking clutch/stator cover screws or tank filler screws or others in the likes where they would be standing out more.

just my .02!

That Guy in Maine 06-07-2012 05:42 PM

You have a good point...but I don't have the bolts for those parts, so I need to get them one way or another, this just insures I get all the right one, I don't really need the color.

armyjeffries 06-07-2012 07:09 PM

You could also check out sportbikebolts.com
They have a coupon code, that I shared with someone in the f4 thread and he said it still worked. That was maybe only 2 weeks ago. Coupon code 4forum20. I ordered a fairing bolt set for my f4 a few months ago for like $32 shipped. They also have anodized colors as well.

Can't wait for the pics of this!!

Edit: The coupon code is for 25% the order i believe. I looked up the f2 kit. "screws only are almost 29, and a complete bolt kit (which includes fender clips, plastic washers, etc) is like 48. So pro-bolts may still be cheaper.

That Guy in Maine 06-07-2012 11:51 PM

Yeah thanks! I have the fairing kit sitting here, I don't need a ton more bolts, I just don't know which ones I need hahaha

I had all of them on the bike, but only by tape and stuff to see what it looked like. A few pieces are broken, going to repair what I can and replace what I can't.

My goal is to have it on the road around June 20th. That way I can take a trip down to my college for orientation about a week after that. That's a 220 mile trip and a lot of highway driving so I have to get some practice in before then.

Then I have to drive back another 220 miles 2 days later, but won't be that bad, and I am super excited to have my bike and license...cannot wait!!

Now looking into getting a set of Vapor Trail Tech gauges, anybody have these? What were your thoughts on them...seems like a pretty good deal for a set of digital gauges for $165 shipped!!

Edward Tristram 06-11-2012 04:05 AM

If you can get it street legal without the fairings, which I'm guessing will be mostly irrelevant as far as the dmv is concerned, I definitely recommend taking your msf, getting your license and learning to ride asap--with or without fairings. They don't really make a difference in performance unless you're going over 80 mph (maybe strong headwinds will be annoying to you on a windy day with nothing to tuck behind, but other than that...) and in the somewhat reasonably likely event that you drop your bike during your initial learning process you won't damage your plastics.

Another reason I recommend taking your time getting fairings on is that as you've already seen, they can be a deceptively challenging project to tackle successfully, and it's worth it to be patient and find the right ones in a good condition. I know it's tempting to try to get your bike looking good right away, as it's your baby, but performance is generally far more important and like I said it would be a shame if you put in all that time and effort only to lay it down gently at a stoplight.

CJardine 06-11-2012 06:38 AM

They do protect the frame though, I had to learn the hard way plus before I rashed my frame up I didnt even think about the fairings protecting my frame, Now it would have been soooooo worth it.

Edward Tristram 06-11-2012 10:12 PM

Oh, I thought they just break and get scratched or look good and protect you from wind. Still if that's the case it seems wiser to invest in sliders until he has a chance to find a great deal on some fairings that fit.

That Guy in Maine 06-12-2012 01:14 AM

Well, I have all but the two of the fairings on it really, and the full kit is only like $35...so it's not like I can't put the money out for it quick enough. I'm not too worried about it.

Anyways, I signed up for my MSF, will have my license (hopefully) by the 21st of this month. 9 days!

Now I just need the rest of my gear, pay the insurance, get a new chain and sprocket kit, brake pads, gauges, oil change, and coolant flush.

Hopefully it'll be ready for me to ride when I get my license, heck, I can ride for 14 days with temp plates without having to have it inspected...or maybe that's NH only.

One way or another, I'll be ready!