600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

600 F4 stock muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600 F4 stock muffler

I think I am going to go with a new muffler this coming spring but for now is there a way to get rid of the baffle or drill into it on a 00 F4? I have saw this mod for the newer bikes but not the F4.......

I have a D&D muffler, but no midpipe and the can is kinda scraped up on the bottom so I think next spring (tax return) I am just going to buy a new one.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Default RE: 600 F4 stock muffler

Yes, you can drill out the muffler baffles, but I have an easier way:

Use a die-grinder and cut the end off your canister
Cut out the inner sleeve of the tailpipe
have someone re-weld the end back on

I would be wary of this however, because it is going to reduec backpressure, and a street bike needs backpressure. Without backpressure, your low end and initial acceleration will be sluggish. You also run the risk of frying your engine if ran for extended periods of time. If its sound you are looking for, just cut off the tip of the inner sleeve of the exhaust tip. I would advise agains cutting it flush with the canister, because liquid may run back into your pipe and you may end up with carbon buildup (the inner tip aids in exhaust exiting the tailpipe).

Option two is that you could cut your pipe open and remove all the packing inside. Your pipe will get hotter faster, but it will sound way better. Also you arent reducing backpressure either! If you have any questions, ask and I will do my best to help.

1999 CBR F4
Michelin Pilot Powers
Suspension stiffened to race setting (holy crap, what a difference!)
Vortex Lightweight Drive sprockets, OEM gearing (front and rear)
RK 525XSO race chain
K&N airfilter
Puig Race Windshield (again, what a difference!)
added clearance plate to stock muffler

*making brackets (6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum) to move rear-sets up and back 1"

[IMG]local://upfiles/11865/0ECA73A8DC4E44DE948D2640BCC1E8C7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 PM

you dont need that much back pressure if you run stock headers you can put a strait pipe on tha bike and it wont screw anything up and how is "Use a die-grinder and cut the end off your canister Cut out the inner sleeve of the tailpipe have someone re-weld the end back on" easyier than drilling a couple holes?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:59 PM

To drill out the factory muffler, you would need a drill bit 18 inches to two feet in length. Diameter of the drill used is completely up to the fabricator, but I would use one at least an inch in diameter. More importantly;

A. Finding a bit of that size is going to be hard.
B. If you do find one, it is going to be expensive, much more so than what I suggested.
C. A bit for this can be made, but it requires a decent bit of work

And no, problems aren't going to immediately rise, destryoing your engine in a fiery explosion, I know this. A sportbike can take that kind of abuse for quite a while before anything goes wrong. I just mentioned the backpressure subject as a cautionary warning.

-Ian