600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Xentec HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xentec HID Kit

After doing some research and trying to find people that have had problems with this kit, I decided to post my first thread and ask you guys how you feel about the kit. I just got it in the mail, and cant wait to install it. However, I spoke with a couple shops that I wanted to do a clean install for me and they told me that HID kits for street bikes is a bad combo. I had a few tell me that they don't do them period. I was curious, have you guys had any electrical problems with your bike since installing HID's? Whether it be DDM or any other manufacturer, I'm curious how these HID kits affect the charging system. The shops I spoke to said the battery and stator take a hit over time. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also heard this from a few shops. I was told that the HID bulbs don't work well with the oem reflectors and the light pattern doesn't focus well resulting in blinding light problems for oncoming traffic. The projector lights you see in some of the newer cars/bikes solve this problem.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much problem on the battery directly but HID's use less wattage in which case adds more work for the R/R to disipate the extra wattage and if the R/R goes then that can hurt the battery and the stator.

In all honesty though the cheap (made) kits may cause damage but alot of people here run ddm's or xentecs with absolutely no problems.

I would do the install yourself as it is plug and play and very easy to do and will save you some money.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the input guys! I was looking into doing the Denji headlight mod I found in a thread online. This guy took the his old Denji Projector headlights and pulled the projector out and the Denji kit bolted right into his existing headlight. I also talked to a buddy who has an R6 that did the Projector retrofit himself and spent all day on it.

I decided to have a shop do it for me because I finishing out my last year of college and no one I know, including myself, do not have any tools. I would love to get after it, but I'm sure as most of you guys know the tools is what makes the job that much easier. If you don't have the right tools, a 20 minute job can take up to 2 hours. I figured I'd drop it off, let the shop tinker with it and pick it up when it's all said and done. Do you guys have any links for threads you followed to install your kit? Finding a good spot to mount the ballast is the part I am most sketched out by. I've heard horror stories of them not staying in place and even one story of someone's kit messing with their steering. I am a first time bike owner and I've only had my bike for 2 weeks so I'm still a little apprehensive to take a set of tools to it and start pulling it apart.