600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Whats the point?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the point?

In these chain conversions, ive looked around for answers but couldn't ever find what I was looking for. Im still learning about bikes so I really don't know exactly what everyone is talking about all the time lol. But I see people wanting to do 520kits? Whats the purpose in that, and what are they stock(f4i).

Old 07-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any first hand experience with chain kits but from what I have read o nthe forum I think the numbers like 520 525 530 is referring to the chains pitch.

some people say that 520 chains are lighter therefore lighter rotational mass....but some say that is bs and that the gains are negligible. 520 chains will supposedly wear out quicker. If you decide to change to a 520 kit you will also have to change your sprockets..front and back

f4i stock pitch is 525.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by chetman7
I don't have any first hand experience with chain kits but from what I have read o nthe forum I think the numbers like 520 525 530 is referring to the chains pitch.

some people say that 520 chains are lighter therefore lighter rotational mass....but some say that is bs and that the gains are negligible. 520 chains will supposedly wear out quicker. If you decide to change to a 520 kit you will also have to change your sprockets..front and back

f4i stock pitch is 525.
So it sounds to me there's nothing wrong with just keeping the 525. Besides it being a bit heavier? I really don't see the point.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea just keep the 525

Old 07-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Unless you're a VERY experienced (professional) racer, you're not going to be able to tell the difference between a 520 and a 530. Performance isn't the real reason behind the switch, as the performance increase is almost immeasurable. It's not a performance thing, it's a control thing. All you're going to end up doing with a 520 chain is wrecking it every 2 - 6 months, and being pissed that you constantly have to dump more money on new chains. Lower pitch chains wear out WAY faster, so you really only see professionals using them, as they rarely pay out of pocket for them anyway.

Sprocket changes on the other hand can provide a MASSIVE improvement, and that's a MUCH better way to invest your money.

Last edited by johnnyx; 07-09-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
Besides it being a bit heavier?
Isn't it like. . .5lbs heavier? You're personal body weight fluctuates more than that on a seasonal basis. Spend the money on a gym memebrship if you're that interested in losing a trivial amount of weight.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Isn't it like. . .5lbs heavier? You're personal body weight fluctuates more than that on a seasonal basis. Spend the money on a gym memebrship if you're that interested in losing a trivial amount of weight.
Maybe your thinking too far into what I was originally asking but I have no intentions or nor did I in getting a different chain kit. I have thought about dropping a tooth on the front sprocket and even that isn't for sure. I was just curious on what all the hype was about im always seeing threads about people getting them just wasn't sure why..

btw im 6 foot, @ 140lbs.. I don't think I need to lose weight.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Ha. The bikes are set up stock for about 165lbs of rider weight, so don't be lookin to take pounds off the bike.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo -1/+2 is your answer. Replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time, or you're going to introduce a lot of uneven and undue wear on one of them.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Ha. The bikes are set up stock for about 165lbs of rider weight, so don't be lookin to take pounds off the bike.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo -1/+2 is your answer. Replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time, or you're going to introduce a lot of uneven and undue wear on one of them.
Why would I want to lighten the bike up? lol its a bike.. their light as it is.

so if -1/+2 is my answer but what was the question? lol

Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
so if -1/+2 is my answer but what was the question? lol

Ummmmmmm. . . ."How much did this answer my question / how much more awesome is JohnnyX for answering it anyway?"

-1/+2. Done.

Last edited by johnnyx; 07-10-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Whats the point?