600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Velocity stacks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velocity stacks?

Anyone done any velocity stack mods? I wonder how much would be gained. I also hear putting VSs off a 1000 will give you a couple ponies but i'm not sure. Anyone heard of this? Do they fit on a 600 without any modifications? Any other tuning needed to accompany the VCs? I appreciate any insite.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Default RE: Velocity stacks?

for the 06 and older. get two sets of stacks and cut them in half.
then put back on the shorter stacks leaving the tall ones off. it doesnt add horses but moves the powerband down a little lower in the rpms range (a remap is a good idea)

there are huge write ups on this over at 600rr.net

Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 AM

the HP gain is like, half a horse at the very top. it's not worth the time or effort unless you have other modifications.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:18 AM

I'm going to have to replace the lower half of my air box because the stealership totally screwed it up. So I thought about while I was in there......... I'm not sure I'll do it yet. I'm just looking for some info. Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 03:00 PM

I wouldn't do it, like Baxsom wrote it moves the power around, ie you loose bottom & mid and gain some at the very top. Now how much time do you spend near or at readline? How much do you spend in the bottom and mid? Assuming you predominatily a street rider. Would you rather have more power most of the time, or less power most of time?

Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM

i thought the shorter stacks move the power lower while longer stacks moved it higher.

admittingly i havent done a lot of research on this so i could have it backwards

Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM

i did the upgrade on my 1000rr, but i have other supporting mods and a custom map. there is a difference, but like i said, i have other mods to support the stacks-- gutted stock ram air intake, 06 stacks, arata ti s/o, pc3, custom map, flapper solenoid completely removed and filled in, flapper door removed, grate removed, pair mod. anything over 7500rpms, and it feels like the turbo's are kicking in. lol

i have my old 04/05 stacks for sale if your looking for them. 20.00 shipped (lower 48 only).
lemme know and ill ship out asap.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

i thought the shorter stacks move the power lower while longer stacks moved it higher.

admittingly i havent done a lot of research on this so i could have it backwards
Yep, You've got it backwards...In General,
Longer stacks = better TQ & HP in the lowto midrange - It fills the the combustion chamber more effeciently at lower RPM's, but can't keep up with the volume demand at higher RPM's.
Short stacks = Better TQ & HP in the top - Not as efficient at lower RPM's, but is able to flow the volume required at High RPM's.

But there's actaully a lot more to it than that. The the design, shape, size, angle, flow pattern, fill rate of the heads,throttles, Airbox, etc... all play a major roll in the overall effect that changing the length of the V-stacks have.

I'd never recommened the "Cut & Paste" V stack mod becuase while it shortens the length of the V stack, it keeps the same entrance lipradius as the stock length one, this will move the the power up in the range, but will not do as well as a properly designed (ie, TheFactory pro, HRC or Ten Kate) stackthat has a larger entrance lip radius making it more efficient (The shorter the length, the larger the radius needs to be). I gues i'm just from the "If you're going to do something, do it right" school.I haven't done any testing on the CBR, but I have some timeon a flow bench playing with Ducati 748 head / throttle body / V stack (but without the airbox) and found that the length is definately the major factor in the outcome, but the lip radius, lip diameterand V stack to throttlebody junction(smoothness)all play a very important part as well.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:51 PM

thats why i dont mess with these sort of things.
ocassionally i will argue with engineers at honda but airbox design is not one of them. just too much crap to deal with.

Quick Reply: Velocity stacks?