600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default synthetic oil

Ok so i have a dumb ?

I bought a bike about a month ago and changed the oil with recomendations of the manual. everything it suggested.

Now I find out my girlfriend can get me amzoil fully synthetic oil for next to nothing as far as price. Is it ok if i put this in my bike. Going from the regualr to synthetic shouldnt matter should it?

What kind of Amzoil do you reccomend. 10 40?
What filter?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Nex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First change I did was a switch from the Honda Gn4 to the Amsoil 10-40. If you can get it for a good price there is not much to think about. I even noticed a little better feel to the engine, and shifting.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:45 PM

awsome thanks for the reply. Do you no if most oil is jaso ma aproved or what not. What kind of amzoilk is it called you use along with filter. Thanks for reply NEX

Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amsoil makes motorcycle specific oils that will be jaso certified. 10W40 is a pretty common weight to run.
As far as filters... that's pretty subjective. I run purolator ones from advance auto.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:59 AM

amzoil has filters available to, do u not suggest them?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amzoil has filters available to, do u not suggest them?
I've never used them. I doubt they are bad filters, tho. There should be a cross reference for your bike to tell you which one you need.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm chiming in a little late here, but I noticed you asked if its ok to go from regular to synthetic. It has always been ok to go that way, but it used to be that you couldn't go back to regular once you used synthetic. I was talking to the mechanics a few weeks back and they said that no longer applies. It used to have something to do with the way the synthetic was made that wouldn't allow the return to regular. Not sure why anyone would want to go back, but just a little FYI...

Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 PM

Not to Hijack the thread...but for guys not ever running at the track, do we need synthetic? 90% of my riding is just cruising down the highway, the other 10% is 'having fun'.

I've got almost 8k on mine and on my first 2 oil changes, just had conventional gn4 10w-40 put in.

Alex

Old 07-05-2010, 12:19 AM

This is a good article about oil. Its a bit lengthy, but a good read.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
I've been happy with Mobil 1 Racing 4T. I noticed smoother shifting after switching from fossil oil.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 AM
July 2010 ROTM

no u dont need synthetic, but its fine if you run it, its just a matter of preference and opinion. i wont run it, bc i think my bike runs better on regular. from what ive gathered on reasearch synthetic is only filter down regular oil to where all the molecules are the same size so it flows very uniform. its not really made in a lab, some may be, but most arent. theres a law that says they can actually contain certain amounts of regular oil in them and so most of them are pretty much a blend anyways

im not saying synthetic oil is bad, or not to run it....im just saying i wont. i just think there is too much hype. there are many good oils. choose one you like and are confident in and change it on schedule. if u feel one works better then stick with it.

Quick Reply: synthetic oil