600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

SportVue HUD

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SportVue HUD

Just got the Sportvue heads up display unit. I had no problems setting the helmet up with the HUD, but am haveing difficulty with the installation of the multiple sensory unit (MSU). I have to get to the RPM ourput wire. I think that I have located it, but it is under the tank. Any instructions on how to remove the tank so I can tap into the RPM output wire? Any help would be most appreciated?

I have had this for a few days and am trying to get this installed...nothin like having a new toy for your bike and not being able to use it... Got my radar set up, but would like to be able to hook it into the Heads up display...

Thumbnail Image

[IMG]local://upfiles/6151/B097C0BAF3094B4884855A2734F8A584.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Default RE: SportVue HUD

1. take off the rear seat, remove the two bolts holding the tank cover on under there.
2. Remove the two plastic push in clips from the top of the mid fairing. Do this by pushing down on the middle section then pulling the pin out.
3. Remove top bolt from mid/ upper fairing mounting point. Take off ram air covers. You do not need to remove the upper to do this, just reach under the front of them and feel for a tab. This tab has a plastic rod going through it. Bend the tab/ ram air cover back and up to release it from the rod, then pull it up and push down on the part that joins to the tank and it will release.
4. Unbolt the bolts underneath where the ram air covers were.
5. Remove the two bolts behind the steering stem.

You might also have to take off the black plastic side covers (where your legs go) to get the tank cover off..

Old 04-27-2006, 12:27 PM

Hey, I got a SportVue a few months ago, love it. Riding without it seems barbaric now. Can't help with the tank removal as i have a F4i, but I do know Sportvue listed the wrong RPM wire on my bike, had to find the right wire on the schematics.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM

It looks like someone already has the info for removing your tank. My one suggestion is BE CAREFUL when you are teaching the system your gear ratios. It's a little hairy putting the rear on a stand and revving through the gears. I had to re-do mine three times. The first time I was a little too tentative and the system had trouble determining which gear I was in. The second time, I revved the crap out of it in each gear and the system wouldn't get above third gear. The last time I slowly accelerated in each gear up to 50% of max RPM and now everything works great! The only thing I have run into is that above 80MPH, the display unit actually seems to tilt forward a little (against airflow). I think the body of the display is generating just enough lift to tilt the image a little. Good luck with the installation. If you have any questions that an F4 owner might be able to answer, let me know.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:43 AM

Question about the SportVue:

If you just install the HUD and not the MSU...will it still act as just a radar detector ?

Old 05-15-2006, 05:03 PM

No, the MSU plugs into the audio output of your radar detector for the signal. The system does not have a built in detector, it uses your radar detector (if you have one) to generate the symbology. When the audio alert goes off on your detector, the MSU reads that signal and flashes RADAR on the HMD.