600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Slip-on question for my '06 F4i....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip-on question for my '06 F4i....

I just ordered a yosh slip on for my '06 600 f4i, and was wondering if I NEED to retune my bike for the new exhaust??? My buddy told me I might need to get a 'power commander' to correct the air/fuel ratio, but he wasn't sure. I only ordered the exhaust to be heard, not for the horsepower. I'm only worried about possibly damaging my bike. Anything helps. Thanks guys

Old 08-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Default RE: Slip-on question for my '06 F4i....

I just asked about the same thing. I noticed after installing the slip-on the bike seemed to be more hesitant in the low rpm range. I think the on board PCU doesn’t fully adjust to the slip-on. I had the exhaust on for about 9 months with no PC and haven’t had major problems but it runs a little lean. I would recommend getting a PC to smooth out the throttle response.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM

with a slip-on it's not "necessary" to get a PC but with a full system it's definitely recommended.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:13 PM

I am looking into a Yosh slip-on also. I read that the '06 F4i's all have the O2 sensors so I need the California model slip-on. Is that what you got?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:03 AM

Do you absolutely need one - No. And it won't hurt your bike in any way without one
Should you get one - If you want your bike to run it's best, YES. Slip-on's by them selfs don't really add that much power (especially compared to a full system & other some mods)

Depending on the slip-on, the biggest change you'll get adding a slip-on and a PC is getting the smoothness of the throttle back. Without the PC you may notice a slight hesitation when going from a closed throttle to 1/2 - WFO, and there may be some hesitation at other throttle opening at cretin engine loads. A Custom Map will help even more.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:28 PM

jesus, i didnt think there was this much involved when getting a slip-on. i plan on getting one soon, but dont wanna retune it.....its gonna bother me if i think the bike is not at its best without a tune, though...hmm

Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 AM

You make it seem like its allot of work... Its quit simple if you have a laptop. If you dont want to go that route and do it your self I suggest you visit dyno-jet if there is one in you location. THey will do the whole thing for you. Hell any desent bike shop will do it for you.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:00 AM

It'll run fine without a power commander, a little lean, but still totally rideable. If you have $300 lying around and free time to mess with maps, then go for it.

I don't think it's really worth it unless your wringing the snot out of your bike at 8000+ rpm all the time and looking for that extra 2-5 HP on the top-end.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:45 AM

I went from a stock can (02 F4i) to a race baffle Yosh R-1 and noticed no diff for hard street riding. Any diff will be in the Idle to Off Idle area as in the upper range, the mapping gives the engine all the gas it needs. The only thing I have ever noticed, is when I went to regular gas and even that wasnt enough to sneeze at. The main thing is to keep up on the engine maintenance (oil/filter, plugs, air filter).

Quick Reply: Slip-on question for my '06 F4i....