600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

sliders question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006 | 01:28 AM
Default sliders question

hey everybody, i am researching sliders before i go out and get a set. im dont want to drill holes in my frame so i was wondering if swingarm and bar end sliders will be sufficent to protect the frame as well. thanks

Old 08-16-2006 | 02:49 AM
Default RE: sliders question

get frame sliders. they usally use ur engine bolt to mount the sliders. check www.oesaccessories.com they have a good price and even sell a cool hole marking tool to make it easier to cut your fairings

Old 08-16-2006 | 03:13 AM

well i wanted to avoid doing any cutting is why i ask. i'm not comfortable cutting the frame just yet. really need a simple mod that would still protect the frame sufficiently.

Old 08-16-2006 | 11:50 AM

just to clarify, and I think you already know this, it's not the frame you cut, it's the fairing.

Nothing will protect the bike as well as sliders or a cage..

If you use bar ends and swingarm sliders you will still hit your side fairings and wish you would have just drilled the holes..

just my thoughts.

Jason

Old 08-16-2006 | 01:38 PM

Also if you go with the "no cut" sliders they will f@ck your bike up in a light drop.

Nothing protects like read frame sliders in a laydown.

Just so you also understand. The sliders protect the FRAME not the bodywork. The intent is to keep the frame and cases off the ground. Bar and swingarm sliders won't do jack for the frame.

To install the sliders you just cut a 2" hole in your bodywork over the upper engine mounts. It's really no big deal.

Old 08-16-2006 | 02:31 PM

hmm ok looks like i need to get frame sliders. maybe ill get some dealer to do it cause i dont think ill know what im doing. but of course i know they'll charge up the a$$. thanks for the info guys!

Old 08-16-2006 | 05:39 PM

Yeah, definately get some frame sliders man! When I had my old CBR, some f**kface kicked my bike over, and honestly, if it wasn't for the frame sliders, it'd of cracked the engine case, gas tank, etc. I even had non-spring rearsets, bar ends and swingarm spools, I had to replace the clutch side rearset and bar ends. Swingarm spools aren't really for anything but a stand. But yeah, sorry for blabbing on and on, but I can't express how much that frame sliders are well worth the money, no matter what the cost! My buddie's a Honda Tech...they actually have like these "diagrams" that they use to drill the holes perfectly through your FAIRING(S). Then of course you mount the base, then you can either put the fairing back on and install the puck, or you can install the puck before you put the fairing back on. If you're lucky, maybe you could get ahold of your bikes "diagrams" from your dealer, or online, and try doing it yourself, it really isn't that hard, and yeah, it'd save you some bucks!

Old 08-16-2006 | 11:37 PM

i had pretty good luck using the tool from oes and i was worried about cutting my farings but it came out fine

Old 08-17-2006 | 12:36 AM

i was wondering if the tool from oes is just a template or does it come with an actual tool that you use to drill the hole with?

ORIGINAL: biggggant

i had pretty good luck using the tool from oes and i was worried about cutting my farings but it came out fine

Old 08-17-2006 | 01:26 PM

The tool from OES is just a bolt that has had the head machined off to a point. So, when you take the engine mount bolt out, you put this tool in its place, and put the fairings back on. When you press the fairing into the tool, it makes a small mark - that's where you drill the hole.

My advice, if you use this tool, is to drill a small hole and put the fairing back on (with the tool still in place) to make sure that the hole is centered on the tool. While the hole is still small, you can make adjustments to it so that it is centered on the tool (the fairing moves a little bit off-center when you push it onto the tool).

Give it a try, it's not that big of a deal. You may want to get some grommets to fill the hole around your sliders once you're done.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: sliders question