600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

painting in northern illinois

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting in northern illinois

anyone know a good "cheap" place to get my two fairings painted in northern illinois?? (rockford, dekalb, sterling)
i had my local body shop quote it at $500 just for two fairings! i've read in some of the other threads that people have gotten all their fairings and wheels painted for that... any help would be great and happy new years guys

Old 01-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: painting in northern illinois

hey....what's up...Chicago here...

i would be concerned about your question....i am going to get a custom paintjob in a couple months and holy man o man is it a lot higher than $500....granted, it's custom...so there is a LITTLE artwork (just a design on it)....BUT....you have to consider things...

what kind of paintjob do you want...you can go to maaco and get a paintjob or you can get it done right....if you are just looking to get any old paintjob....then yeah i guess you might be able to get something around that amoutn, $500 seems a good price for two painted "decent"...

but to do it right and good...you are talking a lot more...look at auto painters...to do a door...which is about the same surface area as two fairings (maybe less), they are charging at least $300....

plus you have to consider if they have to do any work to your fairings...is it completely smooth...are they going to have to fill at all...etc....

i am not trying to rag AT ALL...seriously...just that painting can look good, or it can look okay, or it can look BAD....painting is one of those things that you get what you pay for....it might not be readily apparent...but the clear might be shoddy...the prep may have been shoddy...the paint might be shoddy....you should really consider those things when spending money for something like this...doing it once for $500 is better than having to do two or three times at $200 IMO....

i found a place that does GOOD work..but he's not cheap...he's in northern suburbs...good luck..

Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 PM

yea you do make a good point and i appreciate the input. What I'm looking for is just to get my two fairings painted the OEM silver because I'm doing the decals and stuff myself... but like i said i don't know what good prices are for something like that but after reading ur post I guess it makes sense to get an expensive job done once than have a bunch of cheap jobs done

Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Registered Users

well by no means am i an expert...but i have been pricing paintjobs for a little bit...and $500 for two fairings actually sounds reasonable for a solid color and clearcoat...i got quotes for a whole bike a solid color, roughly $1500....so that's not too bad...just make sure to not say okay thanks and go in...ask what kind of paint he uses...what clearcoat, what process...how long before coats, etc....after all you are paying him, you should at least know what is going into your paint job....it should be a red flag if he starts saying something like "well it's pretty basic because it's only one color", etc...because even though it's a simple paintjob...the prep and clearcoat and finishing make a HUGE difference...

just be a smart consumer...don't necessarily bargain basement it....but in the same vein...don't think an expensive paintjob is better....a good painter SHOULD respect your questions and be willing to give you the answers...if they are reluctant, i say go elsewhere...once again..only my opinion...best of luck...

anything else, just shoot...

Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 AM

I just had someone do pinstripping on mine and a few little areas of paint on mine and it cost500 but to do the actual paint means sanding it down painting it and clearcoating it. so expect it to be a little more then that.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Registered Users

yeah so this echoes my thoughts....just FYI if you're interested the guy that i talk in IL...

http://www.mirrorlook.com/

they are in naperville....now they do a lot of chroming...which i am not into, but their paintjobs look NICE...plus i talked to the guy and he described his materials and process and he does top notch work...spends a lot of time between coats for curing and make sure when he gives it back, it's ready to be used....meaning, handling and screwing in your fairings aren't going to damage the paintjob....

like i said, he's a little pricey....i mean for i want, i don't think it's that bad, but i am VERY particular about things like this...i do NOT want to have to do this again [&:]......haha....best of luck...let us know how things turn out

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 AM

thanks ffingers for the posts! i'll let you know and post pics of my final project when i get back from europe in 3 months!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Registered Users

no problem...glad i could help...have fun in europe...grab a moped...