600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Painting calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting calipers

Has anyone painted their brake calipers? I was just gonna do a rattle can job with some red auto paint, but do I actually need caliper paint? Should I worry about the calipers heating up when I ride and affecting the paint, or worse the paint affecting my brakes?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Default RE: Painting calipers

I used caliper paint on my Mazda. Caliperscan get real hot.I painted them off thespindle so I would advise to remove them from the forks. Remove the pads, tape up the pistons, the banjo threads, and the bleeder threads. Post pics when your done. Good luck. Oh yeah first thing after removing them make sure you clean them good with brake cleaner and scuff them lightlywith the green scotchbrite pads to ruff the surface. Then clean them again. Don't use more than three coats of paint including the clear coatand allow time for them to dry under some heat.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regular spray paint won't hold, it'll chip off from the heat (and they do get hot)......unless you used engine block paint, that would work. You could just to the front facing surface of the caiper instead of the whole thing, don't know how that would look, but it could look sweet. That way you wouldn't have to pull the whole thing off, just tape off, spray, and let dry.

Let us know what you do, and post pics if you do it.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 AM

Yeah, I was planning on just doing the front surface, that's why I was just gonna use the regular paint instead of any high heat or specific caliper paint. I've done quite of bit of modding over the winter so when I'm done I'll post some pics of the final product.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 PM

That's going to look real ghetto painting them on the bike.[sm=badidea.gif] If I was youI would take them off an then paint them.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 02-07-2007, 06:20 PM

Of course I'm gonna take them off the bike to paint

Old 02-08-2007, 01:35 AM

buyu a used set on e-bay, ship them off for powder coating, that way you dont have down time and it's done right. The whole process shouldnt cost more than 175 bucks, and you should be able to do all 3. I don't understand why people are afraid to spend the money on their bikes.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:15 AM

It's not about spending the money, it's about being able to do things themselves and saving that money to spend on more important mods. $175 professional powdercoat vs. $7 DIY spray can which will look just as good since it's only the calipers, hmmm...[sm=teetertooter.gif]

What I don't understand is people unnecessarily wasting money on things they could do themselves.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:49 AM

when i did mine i bought the caliper paint kit from walmart for ten bucks...taped EVERYTHING off on the bike and painted them without removing anything...use the degreaser that the kit provides....two or three coats and your done. took me about an hour or so...came out sick

Name:  DSC00337.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  157.4 KB

Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Yeah I saw yours before dball and really liked how you did it. I was checking out that caliper kit at Walmart too, now I know it's good. Did you use the kit where you spray on the degreaser and then paint the red on with a brush?

Quick Reply: Painting calipers