600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

ok looking to go -1 and +2, help ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok looking to go -1 and +2, help ?

ok giuys i am also looking to changing my sprockets so i can "feel" a little more powerful and gain a little acceleration.

So how many teeth do i want on the front and the rear to accomplish this then? 06 600RR, also how can i fix the speedo? do i need, should i get a new chain?

Thanks

Also what is the best way to lube the chain? and how often should i do it?

thanks again

Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Default RE: ok looking to go -1 and +2, help ?

Optimum gearing change for our bikes is suggested at -1/+2, so 15 front, 45 rear. Get a speedohealer. Always change your chain when you get new sprockets, and vice versa, otherwise one will wear out the other faster. Lube with whatever you prefer, as often as you want (you need to be more specific with these last two questions.)

Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 AM

ORIGINAL: dragonium25

Optimum gearing change for our bikes is suggested at -1/+2, so 15 front, 45 rear.
Who told you that?!?!?!? There is no such thing as optimum when there is no end goal in mind.

Generally speaking, racers choosesprockets are chosen to fit the conditions at the track. More specifically, they want to hit top speed just before the end of the longest straight.

But this doesn't quite apply to the street. The best you can do is do a comparision of one combo to another and see if its to your liking. There is no "best" for the street because there is no one sprocket combination that fits every scenario. What works best for a stunter, doesn't work for the commuter. Its up to you to decide what works best for your riding.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:38 AM

ok thanks guys i appreciate the help. i was just wondering what i should buy to lube the chain, and how often i should do it really.

As for my style. no stunting, an occasional wheelie, nothing else really, the end goal would just be for SotP feeling.

Thanks again, i will keep my eyes peeled, what is average price for the two sprockets and chain?

also my bike has 800 miles... still suggested to change the chain?

Old 02-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

when you change the sprockets change your chain... keep the stock parts incase you dont like the new gearing. and sprocket and chain prices veiry based on brand , strength etc

Old 02-16-2007, 01:10 AM

ORIGINAL: abadfish
Generally speaking, racers choosesprockets are chosen to fit the conditions at the track. More specifically, they want to hit top speed just before the end of the longest
Or be in the right gear and RPM range for the slowest corner...

Old 02-16-2007, 03:34 AM

dude ~ i think stock is still fast as hell for me ~ i wonder what its like to ride on -1 n +2 gearing ( pre sure its all in throttle but still ) i bet it kick ***

Old 02-16-2007, 04:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Nismo6RR714

dude ~ i think stock is still fast as hell for me ~ i wonder what its like to ride on -1 n +2 gearing ( pre sure its all in throttle but still ) i bet it kick ***
What are you considering to be fast???? -1/+2 will accelerate quicker but stock gearing will be faster when it comes to top end.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:15 PM

Stock gearing is pretty much the all around best setup for normal use. Lower gearing might give you a little more pick up at street speed but lose top end.. plus you shift more.

As far as lubing a chain, PJ1 Blue is my pick. It actually goes on clear and doesnt make as much mess, especially if you put it on correctly. Do this about every 1000 miles. Having a rear stand makes it 1000% easier.

Clean the old junk off your chain with brake cleaner. Wipe the excess cleaner off the chain. Go ride the bike around the block for 5 minutes or so (warm the chain and o-rings up). Immediately get back up on the stand, and lube the chain completely, concentrating the spray on the inner side of the o-rings. Spin the back tire by hand several times to work the lube in. Wait 10-15minutes while the lube "dries". Take a clean cloth a wipe off the excess lube.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

800 miles only? just go -1 up front to see what it's like and then if you want more then +2 in the rear.
i know -1 up front will work with stock chain length but i dunno about +2 in the rear.

PJ1 is good lube...i use belray wax.