600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

new grips=way more pain then i thought

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new grips=way more pain then i thought

so i put new grips on my bike progrips they're red match my bike..looked good especially with the new asv's. then today came..(i installed them sun morning) rode fine to work at 0600 then on the way home at 1600 throttle sticks...ahh...turns out i got a little grip glue in thr throttle tube and a the bar ends crushed some excess rubber from the grip into the throttle tube...needless to say the 20mi ride home was horrible. so i take off the grip and clean out the tube as best i can wd40 the hell out of it. so i put the grip back on and i'll be damned if i didnt watch the excess get into the throttle tube as i went to put the bar ends back on...so now im just completley frustrated with and will just deal with it tommoro after work

Old 09-04-2008, 04:14 AM
Default RE: new grips=way more pain then i thought

Hey just think of it as a built in cruise control .
good luck getting the glue off. When i installed mine i didnt even use glue the rubber was so sticky it doesnt move at all!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Xuracing

good luck getting the glue off. When i installed mine i didnt even use glue the rubber was so sticky it doesnt move at all!
Same w me. I just installed mine with some rubbing alcohol...they slipped right on and haven't budged since.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 PM

i used to do that when i raced bmx when i waw a kid...i'd either use hair spray or alcohol and they always started to twist after a while of use..so..i used the grip glue.. and since i flushed the throttle tube out with a ton of wd it braught all the rubber pieces out and i havent had any problems. i think the problem wwas more with the rubber than glue..definitly a combo of both but more to do with the rubber that the bar end ripped off and jammed in to the tube..but anyways its good now and i like the grips alot more than the stock ones

Old 09-09-2008, 10:38 PM

I've found that the best grip glue is spray paint. I use clear, just in case it gets on anything, but a nice thin coating on the inside of the grip, it slides right on, and in 15 minutes it's usually set enough to were it won't budge. And the great part is if you ever want to get it off, compressed air will remove it without a whole lot of effort, and paint thinner cleans it all right up.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM

^^ great idea ^^

Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You need to cut the openings in the grips to fit the bar ends. Use lots of grip glue, put the grip on, and wipe up the excess with a towel. Thats it.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 PM

im digging the spray paint idea..im definitly going to try that next time.e

Old 09-11-2008, 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

ORIGINAL: Xuracing

Same w me. I just installed mine with some rubbing alcohol...they slipped right on and haven't budged since.
I actually did the same thing but one of my freinds said he used just an air compressor and the blow tool. Blew between the grip and the plastic slid right on never came off either!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 AM

any suggestion on some good clean looking grips that may help cut down on my bar vibration and ease my ride?

Quick Reply: new grips=way more pain then i thought