600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Need Help. LED underglow, need help with WIRING.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help. LED underglow, need help with WIRING.

Hi, I bought some LED strips and singles about a week ago. Although, I havent installed them yet. I have been reading the LED underglow threads for a long time now, from pictures of other peoples' LED setup, to LED placement on the bike. The "write-ups" dont exactly explain too well in the wiring section. By searching, I gained a little knowledge of using insulators and things of that nature and also that I could connect the LED wires to the power source of taillights, but I'm not too sure of how to do that. Yes, cut the red wire and connect it to the black or something, but can anyone give me instructions of the actual process of wiring? I mean as in taking off the taillights,disconnecting the cables that run to the headlights, cutting what wire, sauder it to another, etc.

The gist of it is that I am standing in front of my bike with a bag of LEDs and I have no clue where to start.

This is a question for the 2007 Honda CBR600rr. Thank you.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Need Help. LED underglow, need help with WIRING.

well first, i wouldn't wire LED strips to be on all the time with the bike, it would be best to be able to turn them off and on at will...that being said....

i personally ran all my wiring to a wiring harness and just wired directly to the battery with a switch in between...i think that would be the easiest and most "clean" way to do it...IMO...

so essentially those strips are rated for 12v....so your battery can run them without damaging them...they typically just have a hot (red) and ground (black) wire.....just connect longer wire to the LED strips so you can route the wire throughout the bike....have all the reds join together and all the blacks join together under the seat....run a single black ground wire from the joined black wires to the ground on the battery.....run a single red wire from the joined red wires and put a toggle switch in between it and a connection to the red terminal on your battery and you are done.....

only downside to doing this, don't forget to turn them off because they will drain your battery if you leave them on....

if you need it more detailed let me know...i would say get a remote for the lights, but that is probably slightly more complicated than you want to get...

Old 09-24-2008, 07:54 AM

ya just like fingers said put in a switch. i got a switch for my lights and its great. jus make sure u put it in a spot where u can hit it on or off quick if ur out ridin. i know the 5-0 in MN dnt like ppl ride with underglow, neons or L.E.D.s on or no head lights or tail lights for that matter (quick way to dip the cops but scary as all h$ll) but just make sure its a 12v system of lights cus i have seen lights be higher and that will damage stuff. post some pics wen ur donewana see it all lit.good luck!!

Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Yes, thanks. Thats actually detailed enough for me to understand. Ill try and do it some time soon. But of course, once I am finished, I'll post some pictures. Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Registered Users

glad i could help...one thing though...make sure you either waterproof with silicon or tape up the connections the the LED strips....you want to protect them from water if you can...will make your life a little easier

Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 PM

Okay, another question. So I bought a remote switch. On the bottom of it, there are three metal hinges -Supply Volts, On Accessory, and Earth Ground.

Please correct me if I am wrong. My LED strip comes with three colored wires - Red, Yellow, and Black. For Supply Volts, basically I run a new wire from the Positive post of the battery and connect it the "Supply Volts" hinge. For On Accessory, I run the Positive wires (Red and Yellow) of the LED strip to this hinge. For the Earth Ground, I run the LED strip's Black wire (Ground) to the Earth Ground hinge.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Registered Users

that sounds pretty right....except that remote switch needs to be grounded as well....so i am assuming that there is a ground terminal for the supply as well....i don't really know without seeing the remote box....and why do your lights have three wires??? are they for running lights as well???? all the LED strips i used only have a black and red....power and ground...that's interesting....where'd you get them?

actually after thinking about it...i think the earth ground is for the SWITCH...so that needs to be connected to the ground pole of the battery....in addition, the black (gnd) wire of the LEDs ALSO need to be attached the ground pole of the battery...

you can do this creatively such that there is only one connection to the battery

Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Registered Users

i totally leeched this from the base site...but check this out...this will make sense...

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/switchrocker.swf

courtesy of http://www.bcae1.com/switches.htm

Old 09-24-2008, 06:24 PM

Yes, the yellow wire is there only to make the light steady. On the back of the package, it says it is used to make the light steady or blink.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM

Yes! So I got my lights up and running. It was pretty easy, actually. Just need a little knowledge of how eletrical things work. Another question for you ffingers. Where did you place your switch? I have zero minus a thousand patience so I kind of ghetto rigged it just so I could see that my lights work. But because of this, my setup looks horrible. I have my wires hidden when youre looking at the bike sideways, but while im on the bike, you can see the wires next to the handle bars. It's kind of a mess. I was wondering where you put your switch and also where you ran your wires. I sort of just E-taped my switch to my brake line and ran the wires fromunder the handle bars,behind themid fairings, and straight back to the battery location.Like I said, zero minus a thousand patience. It's only like this for a short time, hopefully... I'll try and post some pics of how it looks. Maybe it'll go on the "most ghetto rigged mods" section?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help. LED underglow, need help with WIRING.