600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

I wonder if it is possible..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wonder if it is possible..........

Any with experience with the front turn signals on all time.

I think maybe it is possible wiring new 5/21 w.double filament bulbs with front short light or position light but don´t know how do it.

I did this system in my gixxer but it was easy because you have a position light switch.

Thing is that when you have front turn signals on all time others see you better in their mirrors.

Thanks in advance

Jorge

Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Default RE: I wonder if it is possible..........

well my front (stock) signals are on all the time... running lights. is that what you mean? i like 'em that way i think you lose the running light when you switch to flush mounts. all the guys i ride with who have flush mounts lost the running light.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

as long as you have a double-filament bulb you should be able to wire the running lights in any case. with a single-filament signal, most folks leave off the running wire and just wire the turn signals.
tip: most bikes use a common ground system that switches between filaments in the signals - if you wire both the constant and turn signal leads to the pos on on the single filament bulb, you would get an effect of a running light (always on) and then switch to a turn signal. (this would also affect the rear lights as well, they are on that same circuit even though they aren't typically used as running lights. but i think you could put a diode on the turn signal line to keep the voltage from feeding back into that circuit.) the downside: the brightness of a typical turn signal filament could be annoying/distracting and would definitely get the bulbs quite hot in a short period of time, causing melting or premature wear. haven't tried it before, but if you wire resistor packs in line with the constant wires you might be able to reproduce double-filament action from a single-filament bulb.
in the long run, this is a pretty complicated way to achieve what you could have just by using lights intended for double use. the end.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator

Yeah, what he said. LOL

-Adam

Old 02-22-2006, 09:13 PM

I switched to flushmount and I lost my running lights also. But that was only because the flushmounts i bought only had 2 wires and the originals had three, hense the running light wires.

Daniel Thompson

Just my 2 cents

Old 02-22-2006, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: regener8ed

as long as you have a double-filament bulb you should be able to wire the running lights in any case. with a single-filament signal, most folks leave off the running wire and just wire the turn signals.
tip: most bikes use a common ground system that switches between filaments in the signals - if you wire both the constant and turn signal leads to the pos on on the single filament bulb, you would get an effect of a running light (always on) and then switch to a turn signal. (this would also affect the rear lights as well, they are on that same circuit even though they aren't typically used as running lights. but i think you could put a diode on the turn signal line to keep the voltage from feeding back into that circuit.) the downside: the brightness of a typical turn signal filament could be annoying/distracting and would definitely get the bulbs quite hot in a short period of time, causing melting or premature wear. haven't tried it before, but if you wire resistor packs in line with the constant wires you might be able to reproduce double-filament action from a single-filament bulb.
in the long run, this is a pretty complicated way to achieve what you could have just by using lights intended for double use. the end.
dude...seriously

nice info and knowledge from regener8ed though....I know who I'm pming if electrical issues later on