600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

how to pollish motorcycle parts??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006 | 10:47 PM
Default RE: how to pollish motorcycle parts??

im workin on a 2005 cbr 600rr

Old 08-28-2006 | 10:00 PM

a 600rr would be easy it has a whole frame unlike my 954rr, i dont think you have any part of your subframe showin cuz i think the plastic shields cover it up. the swing arm is not covered by a exhaust, so it should be real easy compaired to what i did.

Old 08-29-2006 | 02:49 PM

Just remember that ever part you polish will have to be buffed EVERY time it touches water or humid air. If you don't polish it constantly it will start to oxidize and pit.

If you want it to look nice check into clear coating.

Old 08-29-2006 | 11:56 PM

i stay in texas home of humid air, if mine gets wet i just run one coat of polish back on it and it comes back to life. yes you can clear cloat it but when clear coating it you have to take all the greasy film off(polish) so the end product will be real dull, it actually wont look chrome what so ever. just gotta relize before you start polishin the bike that yes it has a lil more upkeep than the factory finish, but it can turn a bike upside down.

Old 08-30-2006 | 11:24 AM

Heres the best way to start. Screw sanding with 220 grit (like rocks on paper...) Get a can of "Aircraft aluminum stripper" It will pull paint or clearcoat right off the aluminum; then start to wet sand & polish from there. I would suggest that after you have polished your parts/frame/wheels, get them clearcoated. This will prevent oxidtion and make it so you don't have to spend countless hours polishing when it starts to oxidize...[:@]

Old 08-30-2006 | 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: shanelemus

yes you can clear cloat it but when clear coating it you have to take all the greasy film off(polish) so the end product will be real dull,
That is mostly incorrect.

Yes, when clearcoating the wax/polish/whatever must be removed for the clear to stick. What you don't understand is it isn't the polish that makes the metal shiny. It's the fact that the polish has smoothed out the surface of the metal. The metal stays smooth without anything on it until it starts to oxidize again (almost immediately). When you clear coat you are striping off the grease and wax and immediately spraying on a clear protective layer of paint. Take a look at any custom wheels with "polished" lips. Those are generally clear coated aluminum.

The trick with clear coat is to treat it like paint. Don't use anything that would scratch or wear it off.

It's all too much trouble for me. I prefer flat black.

Old 08-30-2006 | 11:24 PM

This is what I did. If you have a bench grinder, take both wheels off and replace with 6" buffing wheels, (can get at any tool or hardware store) also get two sticks of polishing compound, one is red and the other is white. they are about 6" long, almost 1" in dia. and rock hard. on one wheel dress with red, the other with white. I sanded parts with 120 an 220 paper then start with green wheel to get most scratches out then final polish with white. Time spent: I polised both rear peg assy. in about 30 to 45 min. if that. Let me know if you have ??

Old 08-31-2006 | 10:34 PM

no i dont have a bench grinder

Old 09-01-2006 | 02:29 AM

You can pick up a cheap black an decker at lowes for about 40.00

Old 09-02-2006 | 11:19 PM

rite onn also will the parts that i am polishin will it rust??/

Quick Reply: how to pollish motorcycle parts??