600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

How can I slow down the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How can I slow down the bike?

ORIGINAL: snowboarding82

You want to keep it slow? I recommend riding the brakes and clutch. That should keep you going really slow and make the bike sound really cool and sound like you're always going really fast as it will always be around 12k rpms!!! lol

Mike
No you didn't!!!

Old 07-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the R's under 5500 and you will have a very timid bike.....

Old 07-25-2006, 09:25 PM

i take it you didnt ride before you got your bike. its cool, after you get used to riding you'll learn better throttle control. it comes with time, dont change anything on your bike to counter act it tho, its just going to cost you time and money, then after you've gotten used to it. its just gonna cost you more time and effort to put the stock stuff back on. after you get used to riding your throttle wont be a problem, and you'll be looking for ways to make the throttle more responsive and ways to make the bike faster.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:16 PM

I'm seriously thinking about changing the rear sproket simply to lower the highway RPM's. I use it to commute to school nearly every day and the 6000+ RPM on the highway is kind of annoying and can't be the best long term thing for the bike. I'm at 13k miles now and I'm about to replace the chain, cam chain tensioner and if I'm going to change the sproket now would probably be the time. Any advice? BTW I don't have any issues with the power, I love it, have a Two brothers exhaust and Power Commander.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:04 PM

my '94 F2 loves running 7krpm at 80. trust me these bikes are designed to take alot more "abuse" than what you are throwing at it during highway riding.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:58 PM

I would agree with Ryuu. The bikes redline at like what 14k? Riding you bike at about 6k is like driving a car at 3k when the redline is 8k and most cars redline at about 6-8. I find that my bike runs BETTER when I'm in the higher rpm's. I seem to notice a lot of vibration at lower rpm's up to 5-6k after I get past that it runs so smooth.

One other thing too. DAMN this bike is fast. I finally hit redline in first and second and third, I looked down and saw I was going about 115 and wow did I get there damn quick! I was only using about 1/4-1/2 throttle too! It was very intense to say the least. It's really nice, on the way out to the twisties they redid the roads with all brand new fresh smooth asphalt and the ride is so smooth it just feels so good. =)

Now I just have to find out the problem of my rear tire seeming to be slipping through the corners and I'll be set! =)

Mike

Old 07-27-2006, 05:16 PM

Now I just have to find out the problem of my rear tire seeming to be slipping through the corners and I'll be set! =)

Mike
New tires? How's your throttle control through the corners? Is the suspension set up properly for you?

Old 07-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that below 5000 rpm the bike isn't very smooth... leave it down a gear and keep it between 6000 and 9000... plenty of power in that range and it is smooth as silk.

What you need to work on is throttle control... as you ride more it'll come naturally. What you are experiencing is one of the reasons some people don't suggest 600s as first bikes. It is a lot easier to learn proper throttle control on a smaller bike... there is nothing wrong with learning on a ninja250/500 or a gs500f. These are bikes that perform well and are ALOT more forgiving... plus the resale on these bikes is pretty strong on the states.

Now that you've got the 600 all you can do is practice. Empty parking lots will teach low speed throttle control which will pay dividends later... country roads will give you some good safe saddle time but you won't be forced to learn proper throttle control as much. If you can make this bike smooth in a parking lot you're almost there. Set some cones up once you've mastered navigating parking stalls and turning at low speeds. I'm not kidding. The hardest thing to do smoothly is go slow.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:01 AM

The bikes redline at like what 14k?
It redlines at 15,000...

I finally hit redline in first and second and third...I was only using about 1/4-1/2 throttle too!
1/4 to 1/2 throttle...hitting redline...highly unlikely...

Old 07-28-2006, 05:45 PM

Find a big *** empty parking lot practice rolling on and off the throttle without upsetting the chassis (no bouncing back and forth). You will eventually get a feel for the bike. Keep the RPM's low until you get a feel for it. Above 6K the F4i turns into a rocket. Throttle response is awsome in the higher revs.

I ended up putting a PCIII on mine, then a quick throttle. You want to talk about throttle response now?

I am a firm believer that the F4i sucks for a first bike. If you are not careful it WILL BITE YOU!! Getting a F4i for a first bike is like getting a Camaro with a blown 454 as a first car.

Now that you have it, just be careful. WEAR GEAR so that one little mistake dosent have you in the hospital for months.

Not trying to scare you, just make sure you respect the machine.

Quick Reply: How can I slow down the bike?