600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Food for thought about FULL EXHAUST systems!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Food for thought about FULL EXHAUST systems!

I've been reading posts in reference to getting slip ons vs. full systems. The conclusion seems to be that if you don't race, then get a slip on becuase you'll either loose low end power for high end, or because the stock pipes breath so well, that you'll be wasting your money getting a full system, because you won't get or notice any difference in power. But what if I throw in another factor? We all know California has strict emissions regulations. I personally don't know, but i've heard that California bikes have less power because of either something IN the catalytic converter, or BY it, or we just HAVE ONE IN GENERAL....i don't know....but......if it's true, then....here's the big question... wouldn't getting a full system be beneficial for us Californians, since we have a restriction in our sytem before the slip on, causing less horsepower?

P.S. If the rumor is false, and Californians don't have less hp, then yeah, I'm just getting a slip on.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Default RE: Food for thought about FULL EXHAUST systems!

I don't believe even the Cali F4i or 600rr has a catalyst in the exhaust.

Really what you need to ask yourself is DO YOU need more power? Can you really use it? How much time do you spend at 10K+. How often are you at WOT? Most folks can get away with a slip-on because we are really just looking for the sound and the look.

If you aren't racing, AND you aren't an expert rider you won't be able to utilize the extra Hp for the full system. Then all it comes down to if you want to be able to "say" you have a full system or not.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:49 PM

yes, i understand. you make good points. but we're still not positive (since you stated "I don't believe") whether or not californians have less power; and if they do... the power gains from replacing the full system will increase through the WHOLE rpm range.... not just after 10k, since we're removing whatever that restriction is that's rumored to be in or by the cat. Or we may even LOOSE torque. but to see the big picture here, I'm debating the effects of parts which I don't KNOW exist. So, is there anyone out there who knows, or knows someone who might know, if Cali. motorcycles have less power than bikes from other states?

I'm not positive on this either, but I don't think a simple dyno chart from different states will work because the lack of power may be compensated by cali's fantastic elevation level... unless the "runs" were compensated.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:19 PM

I have an '01 CA model and yes, it does have a catalytic converter. From what I understand, the CA model is down 2 or so hp as a result... Don't quote me on that, though. All I know is that I am fond of the converter because after a ride I don't smell of exhaust and my garage doesn't smell of exhast and my girlfriend doesn't smell of exhaust and on and on and you get the idea.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 AM

haha. cool. thanks for the input. If you're right, 2 hp doesnt seem so bad.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 AM

If I can open this can of worm even more. Yes, the stock exhaust headers/collector are pretty good on all the repli racer bikes (marginal power return on the aftemarket full exhaust). Also, the stock muffler is restricted to achieve whisper quite sound. Im not telling you anything new there. Since your contemplating remove the cat, AND with the Calif additions of a cat converter, Calif O2 sensor, purge control valve, & evap cannister, Im wondering if the fuel mapping is different as well. Might have to tweak that (with a Power Commander?). Maybe some of Calif tuners can expand or debunk.
Dave

Old 09-26-2006, 06:05 PM

Just to add a little to this discussion, all full exhaust systems on CA street bikes are illegal. This is due to the removal of the emissions control systems. jjbtao is right, CA bikes are different, they have a tiny bit less hp and many have smaller gas tanks.

But... you can get away with a lot. We don't have to smog bikes and we dont have to pass inspection. So unless you're driving like a *** up at Alice's every weekend and a chip pulls you over you're mostly ok. But once they've got you, they will ticket you for all those neat little mods. Turn signals less than 8" apart? Ticket. Exhaust too loud? ticket. No light on lic plate, even though it is daytime? ticket....

Fuel mapping is a little diff because of the emissions crap, but anyway, it still remains the most popular combo to get a power commander and slip on which allows you to compensate and run it a tad rich if you like.

Additionally, in CA there is a volume limit on exhaust sound, so those fatty loud pipes that people love to sport are also illegal.

Integrated brake/turn signals are also not legal, nor are tireflys, or any accent lighting that is not white/yellow/amber/red. Red lights can only face rear, white can only face front. Amber/yellow are allowed as 'running' lights and are the only way to do semi-legal accent lighting. Also any lights that output higher discharge than factory are illegal, so no upgrading to HID in CA. I know I just went OT, but not entirely, I mean it is about what is legal in CA no?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM

i talked to a sales guy at Motoworld in el cajon, CA., who's been through a lot with motorcycles. He said that little thing in our exhaust down there is a charcoal cannister. and yes is does lower horsepower. I asked him how much, and he said the difference between having one and not having one is like eating or not eating that cheeseburger at the joint you stopped at before going riding. plus someone mentioned that not having one makes your bike smell like gas. So im going slip on.... two bros or akropovic. thanks for the info guys. i appreciate it.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weight savings is a lot...but not enough to justify the BLING!