600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

exhaust wraps

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: exhaust wraps

i may look into the jet hot coating, see if i can get a deal on itif my buddy knows a guy who does it or not.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 PM

I wouldnt fool with header wrapping at all on a stock sportbike. Some race cars
used them to keep underhood heat lower and you'll see it used on some
custom choppers to keep heat off wires, plastic, legs, etc.
Header wrap on your bike will result in 0 power gain andis hard on the pipe
metal.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Pugetpower

I wouldnt fool with header wrapping at all on a stock sportbike. Some race cars
used them to keep underhood heat lower and you'll see it used on some
custom choppers to keep heat off wires, plastic, legs, etc.
Header wrap on your bike will result in 0 power gain andis hard on the pipe
metal.
perhaps you didnt read the article i posted on header wrap. if you have a good tuner, you will see gains,
not a lot but some gains none the less.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:29 PM

Im sorry. Didnt read your article but I can match yours if you like.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:46 PM

heres another good read that i found when i was doing mine...and if there isa HP gain its under 1 hp and not noticable. unless someone has a dyno sheet before and after that shows more gain than what i seen on a dyno with it.

Exhaust wrapping your headpipes can dramatically alter the gas flow & even the reversion pulse waves, especially beneficial for most stock exhaust headers when used with a slip-on as it tends to allow you to run much stronger in the mid-range (after rejetting). It keeps the exhaust gasses hotter longer which makes them easier to expel out the pipes. We all know that the hotter something is the easier it flows... problem is it is extremely difficult to get the jetting right after the wrapping mod & usually require main jets & needles outside the typical range of off the shelf jet-kits... Also wrapping a Stainless Steel headpipe will rapidly deteriorate the pipe & if you wrap a ceramic coated header, it will turn to ash within 3 months! So in the event any of you follow up on this stuff I only suggest wrapping the stock headpipes due to their heavy construction... The extra heat generated inside the pipes by the wrap will eventually destroy the stock headpipes too, but you can always find stock headpipes for sale just hanging in someone's garage... & to me the added useable horsepower (mid range)is worth replacing the stock headpipes every 3 or 4 years (if you even keep the bike that long) NOW THE KICKER: Although I have experienced minimal gains by doing this mod on many different bikes with inline motors, I have not experienced any appreciable gains with it on the RC51. Now to clarify that statement let say that my first attempt was without the benefit of the PCII to alter the fueling & there were zero changes registered on the dyno with the addition of the exhaust wrap. I do have intentions of trying it again this summer & I'll post my findings at that time. Let me also say that many RC51 owners have found it very beneficial to wrap the rear headpipe where it is in close proximity to the rear shock in an effort to keep the shock cooler from radiated heat & reduce fade.