600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

exhaust wraps

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust wraps

would wrapping the headers in the heat wrap help out any... main reason for radiant heat.. not that big of a deal, but if i can wrap em up for 10bux and keep a lil bit cooler without hurting performance, then it would be a worth while "mod" for me.

any input..

and also.. the bottom part of the header where it goes 4 - 2 is dented... its flat now.. that wouldnt affect the exhaust flow really should it?

Old 06-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Default RE: exhaust wraps

there is a thread on header wrap, https://cbrforum.com/m_315475/tm.htm but i did mine because i cant run a cooling fan and there was no considerable difference mainly because the heat is still trapped in the fairings, but the bad thing about wrap is that it will deteriorate your headers VERY rapidly, because heat will cause condensation in the wrap then when the bike cools it will rust your headers..

and my header is flat there to and has always been that way.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:09 PM

ahh, what if i got the headers dipped in the jet hot coating? would that be another alternative?
and if i went that route... just sand blast em any surface rust off em then dip em in the cleaning crap?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:55 AM

Wrapping will put a lot more thermal loading on the header without much benefit. The usual outcome is increased propensity to cracking in exchange for a marginal increase of thermal efficiency.

Ceramic coating is an option I am still skeptical about with regards to everyday performance.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jet, #1... it works!!!!!!!
Free and clean, Ripp'n

Old 07-01-2007, 07:03 AM

wrapping the header is great only if it is stainless steel. and you need to spray it after it is wrapped with a waterproofing agent like the stuff that DEI puts out for header wrap.

there is a writeup on www.rogueracing.org about a torque increase by doing it if the wrapper knows what he is doing and the tuner knows what he is doing,

I wrapped mine just to keep the header heat off of my track plastics

I recently pulled the wrap off since i dont track the 1000 ever since i got the 600 and there was no degredation to the metal even after a year.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: 65ShelbyClone

Ceramic coating is an option I am still skeptical about with regards to everyday performance.
what are your concerns about everyday driving with a ceramic coated header? many cars have ceramic coated ones when they get aftermarket headers, but i dont know if they effects would be the same on a bike.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:45 PM

I just think there are less expensive and more effective areas to look for power. I'm also not convinced that it really lowers radiant heat. For looks and corrosion resistance, ceramic is worth considering.

I must have missed the original poster's intention. For heat shielding, yes it does work and fairly well. Just be aware of the possibility that it will shorten the life of the header. I wrapped a Honda Civic header to keep the A/C lines from melting and it did the job. The mild steel header also took the heat of daily driving without cracking(or even corroding...SoCal desert ftw!). YMMV.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:36 PM

im not looking for more power out of wraping or coating the header.. just being able to keep it a tad cooler would be my main intention, and looks/corrosion resistance wouldnt be a bad thing either.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 PM

it will keep the surrounding parts cooler,
i burnt my track plastics before i wrapped my oem headers. after wrapping, no more burning

Quick Reply: exhaust wraps