600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

don't know wat air filter to run

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't know wat air filter to run

everyone talks about the bmc race filter but i personally like the brand k&n. i had one in my jetta and i'm jus more familar with it. wich brand do you all suggest i'm torn between the two. also if i drop the filter in w/my slip on alredy on w/o a pc is it really that big of a deal for the time being? thanks again guys

Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Default RE: don't know wat air filter to run

Good thing your CBR isnt a Jetta, or I would have to give my bike to my sister! j/p

BMC is great, washable, and really helps the bike breathe. I have the BMC and a slip on with no map adjustments and it runs like a champ, but has a bit more throttle response due to more efficient breathing.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Registered Users

BMC street doesn't need a remap according to BMC and neither does a K&N...however...a BMC race filter SHOULD have a remap as it breathes substantially more *according to BMC...

from what i have read K&N may adversely affect power where BMC MAY help....it's up in the air....i think to truly get the most out of it you have to get a retune as any way you slice it, you are affecting the air flow, beit more or less....

i'll be getting the BMC race with a tune in the coming months and i'll post my impressions...

Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 PM

thanx guys..well pretty much wat my main quetion is at the moment is running an aftermarket filter w/o tuning gunna really negitivitly effect performance. i plan on gettin the pc3 but would rather wait if its gunna make a negitive difference.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Registered Users

i doubt it would adversely affect you if you are running a K&N or BMC street...it will be "better" with a tune, but i would DOUBT it would hurt anything...a lot of guys run them without a tune..and since you'll be getting the PC3 at some point, i wouldn't worry..but that's just me...

i'll likely run my BMC race for at least a week or so before i can get a tune, soo....

Old 04-28-2008, 01:48 PM

eh u sold me..i'm sure ur right. i'm pricing a pc3 as we speak..thanks again

Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Users

yeah i think it's a good upgrade...not going to get you a lot of HP or anything...but it's nice to know you have a higher quality filter in there....granted...as i said before...there are quite a few bits saying that the stock paper filter is the best...primarily because the bike is set for a specific air/fuel ratio and changing that even slightly could be good OR bad....however...since you will be getting a PC3 and able to either download a map for the filter you are running or can get it tuned...i think it will be more than fine to run...

besides...you won't be pushing your bike hard enough i think to really make the engine act funny with a minor air/fuel ratio change...but definitely get a map just to be on the safe side and to get optimal performance...

Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 AM

the race filter helps the bike breath better, and i've read that you shouldn't get one for street use because of dust. could someone please touch on that subject for a second? personally, i'd love to help the bike's power in any way i can, but if it hurts the bike in a street environment, obviously, it's a no-go.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered Users

i don't know papi, i was thinking the same thing...that being said, i asked the shop that is going to tune my bike if it's cool to run the race on the street and he said it would be fine....however....that was just sort of in passing on the phone...before i order, i am going to call again to talk to them about it to make sure, i'll post what they tell me...

Old 04-29-2008, 03:35 PM

interesting poing..i'm gunna look into it myself. if i hear anything i'll let u guys kno

Quick Reply: don't know wat air filter to run