600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Carbon fiber slip-on and dyno tuning

Old 09-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber slip-on and dyno tuning

I just purchased a Two Brothers M2 carbon fiber slip-on, and I'm about to have a Power Commander installed and custom mapped on the dyno at one of their authorized tuners, but I notice that Two Brothers says that you shouldn't dyno tune a bike with a carbon fiber slip-on because it will overheat, and maybe destroy, the carbon fiber slip-ons. While I'm certainly inclined to follow Two Brothers advice, I'm intuitively of the opinion that the bike should be dyno tuned with the exhaust and slip-on on it that I will be using. On the other hand, maybe the slip-on doesn't make that much difference and I should have the shop do it with the stock muffler before the new slip-on is installed. Any thoughts?

Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Carbon fiber slip-on and dyno tuning

Put a strong fan blowing on the pipe if you gotta strap it to a dyno. A custom map with the stock exhaust and then swapping to the 2Bros is a waste of time and money. I suggest just loading the 2Bros map for your bike and see how it feels. It should be close but if it needs tweaking they should only have to make 3-4 pulls to get it perfect. You run the danger of cooking the CF when they get happy and make 10+ pulls.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:06 AM

Yeah, sort of what I thought. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:52 PM

As mentioned above, a custom map for a slip is a bit of a waste.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 AM

You would be 100% wrong.

Even a stock bike can use a remapping. I just read an article in one of the mags about the new R6, and how adding a power commander and doing a custom map gave it smoother power, and also increased HP by as much as 8HP at some places in the curve.

Definately worth it, as most bikes run lean to get past more and more strict emissions standards.

To the original poster. if you have an F4i with that pipe, I already have a custom map for that pipe, made on a Factory Pro braking dyno. The map took 3 hours to make, and was done in 250rpm incremements at every throttle position until it was perfect.

The Dynojet tuners that just do a few pulls don't get very accurate gas readings, and they are only tuning for when the throttle is wide open.

My map took forever to make, but it is spot on at every RPM level for every throttle position.

The guy literally started at 2500rpm at 0% throttle, tested for 5 seconds to get a gas reading, adjusted till it was perfect, then went to 2% throttle, same RPM, adjusted, then 5% throttle same RPM, tested, up to 100% throttle.

Then he went to 3000rpm and did the same thing, and so on...

His dyno has a brake that holds the bike at a specified RPM regardless of how much gas you give it, so he can hold it wherever her wants for as long as he needs to get a good gas reading.

Dynojet dynos, you are never at any given RPM for more than a split second, so the gas readings can be way off. They generally just tune for a nice curve, but that never accounts for all the other throttle positions.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:12 PM

You willing to share that custom map? If so, I'd pay you something to help reimburse you for the expense you incurred in having it made.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:03 PM

Screw dat, just email me and I will send it to you, no cost neccessary.

:-)

Old 09-21-2006, 09:53 PM

Map sent, let me know how it works for you, and if someone has a way to post it for anyone to download, let me know. I also have one for the F4i with a Yoshi TRS slipon, same tuner did the work and it was perfect.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 PM

Extremely nice of you to provide that. I called my local Power Commander Tuning Center and told them I wanted to come by to make sure they could read the map you sent me before I take the bike in; explained to them that Two Brothers says that you shouldn't dyno tune a carbon fiber muffler; and they tell me that I still have to have the Power Commander mapped on their dyno, and dynoing it is "just like riding it on the street." Really??? Maybe THEY ride differently than I do, or I don't understand how they do THEIR dyno work to custom map a Power Commander, but I'm beginning to have some reservations about these guys, and I'm not very interested in doing what Two Brothers says I shouldn't with a new carbon fiber slip-on. Anyhow, I'll go tomorrow and see if they can read the map you sent. Thanks again.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 PM

Why are you taking it to them?

Dude, just find a laptop, download the free software from the Power Commander laptop, start the bike up, plug it in and send the map into the unit.

It will take you 60 seconds to download the map.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon fiber slip-on and dyno tuning