600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Can our bikes run on water?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can our bikes run on water?

This thread title ought to get you attention, lol!

I am registering for a trackday school this summer and one of the conditions is that there's no coolant, and rather water only, in the cooling system. Penalties are quite hefty if we're caught with coolant and/or spill some on the track.

My question is: can my 04 F4i and my buddy's 07 RR run just fine on water, while doing the two track days? What preparation is required for this mod? I'm assuming you have to return to the proper coolant mix after the track days? What would the proper coolant to water ratio be?

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Default RE: Can our bikes run on water?

Use distilled water and you should be good. there are also some "racetrack friendly" water additives (like "water wetter" ) that you can use.

If you're going back to coolant afterwards, your owner's manual should reccomend what to use.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, distilled water and water wetter is a good combo. I run that in my car and bike during the spring/summer months when it gets really hot..........seems to keep my turbocharged engine running cooler (which is better).......and my bike ususally stays around 190 degree mark during the 110 degree day's we have here in NM........compared to hovering around 200-210 normally.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 AM

I have heard that cars are running on water. so, why not the bikes?

New Cars

Old 01-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I checked out the Water Wetter on the Red Line website and I now understand what it does.

So am I correct in thinking that cooling systems can run on water only, and that the only reason it is mixed with antifreeze/coolant is so that the water doesn't freeze when the temperatures drop below freezing? If that's the case, and since I only ride my bike above freezing temperatures, isn't it safe to run on water / Watter Wetter only, with no coolant?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:55 PM

You are 1/2 correct. There are 2 reasons liquid cooled bikes/cars/etc... use anti-freeze. 1- So they don't freeze in the winter & 2 - Lubrication of the shaft seals in the waterpump. Other than those two things anti-freeze is really useless. If I lived in a climiate that didn't get below freezing all of my bikes would run water year around. Now I just run it in my race & trackday bikes in the summer.

Running distilled water /waterwetter will actaully run slightly cooler. But as already stated - make sure it's DISTILLED water, not tap.

Also in case you didn't know, if you look at what waterwetter is actaully made of - then look at what dish soap is made of...

Old 01-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Another unknown fact. Waterwetter will numb your mouth.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Old 01-26-2009, 03:10 PM

The manual I believe recommends 50/50 if you go back to coolant.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Another unknown fact. Waterwetter will numb your mouth.
Well, I knew that too..
I keep a gallon jug of water/waterwetter in my race trailer just in case, once when the wife was around she asked if I wanted some pink lemonade... moral of teh story, if you keep spare water/waterwetter around MARK IT - DO NOT DRINK! [sm=insomnia.gif]

Quick Reply: Can our bikes run on water?