600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Braided Brake Lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braided Brake Lines?

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a set of stainless braided brake lines for my F4. I just commute with it and take it out on weekends for some spirited cruises, but no track work or stunting. I was curious about what opinions other people have about whether or not they are a worthwhile investment. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:48 PM

That is one of the best mods you can do. No more spongy lever that comes back to the bar when the rubber lines are balooning....Great feel and power restored. Go for it.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 AM

In all honesty, unless you are driving it hard brake line expansion is not a real concern. You probably won't even notice it until the end of the day (depending on how hard you ride). Get some super stopper brake pads instead and really feel the braking difference.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:29 PM

The rubber in brake lines break down over time. Braided lines offer consistant feel, you don't have to ride hard to feel if you have spongy brakes. They made a night/day difference on my hurricane.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:59 PM

I just wanted to find out if you did go with braided brake lines. I am looking to install them myself and I can't find a good step by step on a 2 line stainless steel brake line set up for my 02 f4i.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM

I did go with them and am happy with the results. When it's just myself riding it's not all that noticeable unless I have to stop really quick, but with my girlfriend on the back the spongy feeling is gone. I have rock solid braking the whole way.
As far as a step by step would go it's a pretty easy addition. I'll write some stuff up and post it a little later.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 PM

How I did mine was first I used a mighty vac and sucked out all the brake fluid that I could. Then I unbolted the brackets that hold them to the triple clamp and fork tubes. Unbolted the lines at the calipers and the master cylinder and pulled the line out through the bottom. I then bolted up both the new lines making sure the one labeled inside or master cylinder was closest to the master cylinder. Feed the lines down to the calipers and bolt them on. When you bold the lines to the calipers and master cylinder make sure to use new crush washers and torque them to spec. You can modify the stock brackets to hold your new brake lines so they don't rub on the fender or any other parts if you want to though many guys don't. I did because I'm obsessive. After that you just add brake fluid and bleed the system down.
A side note would be that you can remove your fender to make sure you don't spill any fluid on it and make sure you cover up anything you could spill on because brake fluid eats paint. I hope this is what you were looking for.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 PM

P.S. The back is basically the same as the front only without two lines and calipers.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my F4 I replaced the brake lines and found it to be night and day with the braking. The front had better feel and I lost the spongy feeling. I would give it a 10 out of 10 for mods. It is something I want to do to my RR. It will be done in over the winter.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by cbrf4bp
I did go with them and am happy with the results. When it's just myself riding it's not all that noticeable unless I have to stop really quick, but with my girlfriend on the back the spongy feeling is gone. I have rock solid braking the whole way.
As far as a step by step would go it's a pretty easy addition. I'll write some stuff up and post it a little later.
Yea I think its pretty easy enough to do if you take ur time I just wanted to find out if someone might have gotten a front braided brake line kit somewhere that got exactally what they wanted with the crush washers included for a decent price (75-95 bucksish). Any use the easier bleeder?

Quick Reply: Braided Brake Lines?