CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/)
-   -   Another sprocket question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/another-sprocket-question-8418/)

cjbettis 02-25-2006 10:36 PM

RE: Another sprocket question

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

-1 will wear the chain faster than +3 in the rear. -2 will wear the chain super fast.
as far as the 520...get a really good chain, like the DID and you will be ok with wear.

i gots the 520 in my garage...waiting for the current set up of -1 to croak on me but DID is so bomb, the chain just won't quit mang!
once it does though...it's all about the +3 and 520 baby!
if concerned about wear then the 520 will wear faster as well...I have a -1 and -2...on my stock 525 and have 2500 miles on and no signs of needing a new chain anytime soon...

Don Collins summed it up pretty well....oh yeah...you could have both a -1 and -2 for only $44...plus have a 15 min mod time depending on riding you are going to do....

if stunting totally go up in the back...if track ride and really need fractions of a second go 520...but if just want a cheap mod for the street and to make a lot more torquey -1 or -2....no matter which way will love it!!

SquireSCA 02-25-2006 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: cbr6

I'm trying to install my 48 tooth rear sprocket. I have a 15 in front. Trying to do the -1/+2 sprockt change with the stock chain. It seems like the stock chain is too short? I cant get it on??? Please advise...Thanks.
-1/+2 here, and I used the stock chain. Was easy, no problem. You have an F4i or an RR?

cjbettis 02-25-2006 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

ORIGINAL: cbr6

I'm trying to install my 48 tooth rear sprocket. I have a 15 in front. Trying to do the -1/+2 sprockt change with the stock chain. It seems like the stock chain is too short? I cant get it on??? Please advise...Thanks.
-1/+2 here, and I used the stock chain. Was easy, no problem. You have an F4i or an RR?
he has:

05 CBR 600F4i
Jardine RT-1 slip on
tail conversion
custom undertail

**Coming Soon**
Vortex 15 tooth sprocket

Tahoe SC 02-27-2006 12:37 PM

there's this site that tells you what your wheel base is with different combination of teef. you want as close to stock gearing as possible to keep handling the same, but it doesn't really matter that much.

my DID is finally going to retire....this weekend...after 14,000 hard miles...she's earned the right for it...
i checked mah tension, way off, tightened it...rode to church...hard on the throttle but a few times...one weak semi-wheelie attempt...came home...rode a total of like 10 miles...and the chain needed adjusting again...she was a good girl...

YEA BABY, TIME FOR MAH NEW SET in the garage! woohoo!

cjbettis 02-27-2006 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

Well, today I went out for a long ride with the -1/+2 gearing. Gas mileage blows, but awesome power down low. In 6th, the RPM is almost exactly the speed. 70mph was 6900rpm, and this is after correcting things with a speedo.

So I am betting that my top speed is 135mph now, tops. Maybe I could redline with the lowered gearing, meaning a theoretical 140mph top speed if I had no head wind.

I was at 125mph and about 12,500 on the tach and had to back down as I was running out of road. But, max power is around 12,500 rpm and only being at 125mph at max power in top gear is kinda low.

I like the extra power, but I am undecided if I like it overall. I mean, there are times when cruising on the highway at 7500rpm to keep up with traffic is annoying, and it does bother me to lose 20mph on top. I might be better doing a 520 conversion with stock gear ratios and learning to just keep the revs up.

exactly why I suggest only modding the front...if I know I am gonna be out running hard with some other guys stock (15 min mod)...or if running with other friends who are cruisers (-2) or in the hills here....rear end is a major change...

get best of all with such an easy switch!!!

600f4ika 03-05-2006 06:18 PM

I went -1/+4 and wow....this bike is awesome. 1 and 2 are no problem for coming up and third gets real light on the front. It turned this bike into a new beast. About the gas mileage I get 185 miles a tank.

cjbettis 03-06-2006 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: 600f4ika

I went -1/+4 and wow....this bike is awesome. 1 and 2 are no problem for coming up and third gets real light on the front. It turned this bike into a new beast. About the gas mileage I get 185 miles a tank.
Is the F4i the same 4.8 gallons (something like that)???

if so...that is way higher than I heard anyone say they get...wow...especially geared down that much

SquireSCA 03-06-2006 12:22 AM

I barely get 100 miles on -1/+2, so my guess is that he did not recalibrate his speedo/odo and it is reading high.

Not only would his speedo read much faster than he is actually going, but his odomoter will rack up mileage 20% faster than it should, which would account for why he thinks he is getting 185 miles on a radically regeard bike.

600f4ika 03-06-2006 07:46 AM

Nicely put and thought out. I didn't think about it effecting the odometer reading just the speedometer. I'll have to go back and recalibrate it.

SquireSCA 03-06-2006 08:25 AM

You can use the online tool found on this page to calculate how much you are off based on the gear change:

http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/adjust.htm

Basically, you are off by almost 20%.

So when you drive 100 miles, your odomoter will read 120. When you drive 150, it will read 180, etc...