CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   600 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/)
-   -   Another sprocket question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/600-modifications-41/another-sprocket-question-8418/)

MS600F4i 01-29-2006 03:34 PM

Another sprocket question

I want to change my front sprocket from 16 to 15. My question is should I just get a front sprocket or get kit to change from 525 to 520 and if I should why? Thanks fro any info

doncollins 01-29-2006 04:46 PM

RE: Another sprocket question

Depends on what your riding style is. If you like stunting, quick take offs and street riding, the 525 will last longer and you will not see any benefits from the 520.

If you like speeds in the 120+ and ... well, that's about all the 520 is good for. That and shorten life.

Simple and cheap upgrade.... so the -1 or -2 in the front and you will be happy. Now, if you like stunting or wheelies.... just do the -1 front and +3 or 4 in the rear. -2 in the front will help keep the front end down by making the wheel base a little longer.

MS600F4i 01-29-2006 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

Depends on what your riding style is. If you like stunting, quick take offs and street riding, the 525 will last longer and you will not see any benefits from the 520.

If you like speeds in the 120+ and ... well, that's about all the 520 is good for. That and shorten life.

Simple and cheap upgrade.... so the -1 or -2 in the front and you will be happy. Now, if you like stunting or wheelies.... just do the -1 front and +3 or 4 in the rear. -2 in the front will help keep the front end down by making the wheel base a little longer.

Thanks don, I think I'll just get the front sprocket. I'm probably going to get a Vortex, what do you think

MS600F4i 01-29-2006 08:40 PM

I forgot to mention, it's $40

04CBR600RR 01-29-2006 08:52 PM

I went to the 15 got at HONDA dealer for $27.00. WOW what a differance it is like a differant bike. Wheelies really fast and easy in 1st dont snap the gas might go over on your A**. I found out it will either break the rear lose or the front end comes up in 1st. It will come up in 2nd to. Not really into wheelies on motorcycle to much to lose if something goes wrong.$$$ So have fun but (BE SAFE).

MS600F4i 01-29-2006 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: 04CBR600RR

I went to the 15 got at HONDA dealer for $27.00. WOW what a differance it is like a differant bike. Wheelies really fast and easy in 1st dont snap the gas might go over on your A**. I found out it will either break the rear lose or the front end comes up in 1st. It will come up in 2nd to. Not really into wheelies on motorcycle to much to lose if something goes wrong.$$$ So have fun but (BE SAFE).
What brand did you get

04CBR600RR 01-29-2006 11:24 PM

Sun Star is what is on the package.

SquireSCA 02-21-2006 06:59 PM

I just went to -1/+2 on my '05 F4i and WOW!

Power is awesome, although I am sure it is killing my gas mileage and my top speed is like 135mph now, the power and acceleration and response is just plain awesome.

Tahoe SC 02-21-2006 07:40 PM

-1 will wear the chain faster than +3 in the rear. -2 will wear the chain super fast.
as far as the 520...get a really good chain, like the DID and you will be ok with wear.

i gots the 520 in my garage...waiting for the current set up of -1 to croak on me but DID is so bomb, the chain just won't quit mang!
once it does though...it's all about the +3 and 520 baby!

isolated1523 02-21-2006 10:03 PM

I just installed the vortex -1/+2 with an RK 520 X-chain....how much "wear" are we talkin? I rode my stock 525 chain for over 9000 miles and didn't notice any issues....am i gonna have problems with the 520??

-Adam

isolated1523 02-22-2006 12:52 AM

anyone??? lol

drag the knee 02-22-2006 05:42 PM

does it matter if its an RR or an F4i when you're buying them? im on www.parts411.com and all i see it for is for the F4

Tahoe SC 02-23-2006 12:46 PM

yo mang...my RK chain lasted me like 2K and started to stretch...mah first chain lasted like 16K, but i was just cheapa$$ and kept adjusting it every week but the POS was jacked!

i may have just gotten a horrible RK or something....i now have a DID and it's been on for like evers mang! like...since 22K...so like 16K ago and still looks awesome!

cjbettis 02-23-2006 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

-1 will wear the chain faster than +3 in the rear. -2 will wear the chain super fast.
as far as the 520...get a really good chain, like the DID and you will be ok with wear.

i gots the 520 in my garage...waiting for the current set up of -1 to croak on me but DID is so bomb, the chain just won't quit mang!
1 other thing to think about on -1 front or + back is whether you want to shorten wheel base of lengthen...going -1 front = longer wheel base...so if wanting to bring front end up go up in back...

SquireSCA 02-23-2006 07:52 PM

Well, today I went out for a long ride with the -1/+2 gearing. Gas mileage blows, but awesome power down low. In 6th, the RPM is almost exactly the speed. 70mph was 6900rpm, and this is after correcting things with a speedo.

So I am betting that my top speed is 135mph now, tops. Maybe I could redline with the lowered gearing, meaning a theoretical 140mph top speed if I had no head wind.

I was at 125mph and about 12,500 on the tach and had to back down as I was running out of road. But, max power is around 12,500 rpm and only being at 125mph at max power in top gear is kinda low.

I like the extra power, but I am undecided if I like it overall. I mean, there are times when cruising on the highway at 7500rpm to keep up with traffic is annoying, and it does bother me to lose 20mph on top. I might be better doing a 520 conversion with stock gear ratios and learning to just keep the revs up.

isolated1523 02-23-2006 09:31 PM

Anyone else ran an RK chain?? 2000 miles seems pretty ****ty to me.....

-Adam

drag the knee 02-24-2006 01:32 PM

ok, i've just ordered my Vortex front sprocket off of www.vortexracing.com they're on a back order for a couple days but thats fine, am i going to have any problems when i get to the alignment on the back wheel?

edit: oh ya and where can i get a good rear stand? and how much do they run?

chainstretcher 02-24-2006 01:40 PM

I ran the 520 RK chain on my 1000RR for 5000 miles with no problems. Chain and sprockets prolly had about 2-3K miles left in 'em. Went back to stock chain and sprockets for gas mileage. Sounds lame but geez I was only getting about 100 - 120 miles per tank. Had to fill up 3 times a week commuting to work.

I'm keeping the 520 -1/+1 combo for when I go to the track but running stock gearing on the street.

There's some pics on this thread of the sprockets: RK 520 chain results.

SquireSCA 02-24-2006 10:16 PM

Chainstretcher,

What is the best gearing selection for an '05 F4i for street use, in your opinion?

I tried stock, tried -1/+1 and am now on -1/+2 and while I notice a difference in power and snap, overall, is the bike actually faster?

I mean, my top speed is now down to 135mph tops, and while I might have more snap when I hit the throttle, I am having to shift sooner and more often, so at some point, does it become counter-productive?

I reprogrammed the speedohealer, and in 6th, the RPM matches the mph. 70mph is about 6900rpm.

Thoughts?

cbr6 02-25-2006 10:16 PM

I'm trying to install my 48 tooth rear sprocket. I have a 15 in front. Trying to do the -1/+2 sprockt change with the stock chain. It seems like the stock chain is too short? I cant get it on??? Please advise...Thanks.

cjbettis 02-25-2006 10:36 PM

if concerned about wear then the 520 will wear faster as well...I have a -1 and -2...on my stock 525 and have 2500 miles on and no signs of needing a new chain anytime soon...

Don Collins summed it up pretty well....oh yeah...you could have both a -1 and -2 for only $44...plus have a 15 min mod time depending on riding you are going to do....

if stunting totally go up in the back...if track ride and really need fractions of a second go 520...but if just want a cheap mod for the street and to make a lot more torquey -1 or -2....no matter which way will love it!!

SquireSCA 02-25-2006 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: cbr6

I'm trying to install my 48 tooth rear sprocket. I have a 15 in front. Trying to do the -1/+2 sprockt change with the stock chain. It seems like the stock chain is too short? I cant get it on??? Please advise...Thanks.
-1/+2 here, and I used the stock chain. Was easy, no problem. You have an F4i or an RR?

cjbettis 02-25-2006 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

ORIGINAL: cbr6

-1/+2 here, and I used the stock chain. Was easy, no problem. You have an F4i or an RR?
he has:

05 CBR 600F4i
Jardine RT-1 slip on
tail conversion
custom undertail

**Coming Soon**
Vortex 15 tooth sprocket

Tahoe SC 02-27-2006 12:37 PM

there's this site that tells you what your wheel base is with different combination of teef. you want as close to stock gearing as possible to keep handling the same, but it doesn't really matter that much.

my DID is finally going to retire....this weekend...after 14,000 hard miles...she's earned the right for it...
i checked mah tension, way off, tightened it...rode to church...hard on the throttle but a few times...one weak semi-wheelie attempt...came home...rode a total of like 10 miles...and the chain needed adjusting again...she was a good girl...

YEA BABY, TIME FOR MAH NEW SET in the garage! woohoo!

cjbettis 02-27-2006 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

Well, today I went out for a long ride with the -1/+2 gearing. Gas mileage blows, but awesome power down low. In 6th, the RPM is almost exactly the speed. 70mph was 6900rpm, and this is after correcting things with a speedo.

So I am betting that my top speed is 135mph now, tops. Maybe I could redline with the lowered gearing, meaning a theoretical 140mph top speed if I had no head wind.

I was at 125mph and about 12,500 on the tach and had to back down as I was running out of road. But, max power is around 12,500 rpm and only being at 125mph at max power in top gear is kinda low.

I like the extra power, but I am undecided if I like it overall. I mean, there are times when cruising on the highway at 7500rpm to keep up with traffic is annoying, and it does bother me to lose 20mph on top. I might be better doing a 520 conversion with stock gear ratios and learning to just keep the revs up.

exactly why I suggest only modding the front...if I know I am gonna be out running hard with some other guys stock (15 min mod)...or if running with other friends who are cruisers (-2) or in the hills here....rear end is a major change...

get best of all with such an easy switch!!!

600f4ika 03-05-2006 06:18 PM

I went -1/+4 and wow....this bike is awesome. 1 and 2 are no problem for coming up and third gets real light on the front. It turned this bike into a new beast. About the gas mileage I get 185 miles a tank.

cjbettis 03-06-2006 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: 600f4ika

I went -1/+4 and wow....this bike is awesome. 1 and 2 are no problem for coming up and third gets real light on the front. It turned this bike into a new beast. About the gas mileage I get 185 miles a tank.
Is the F4i the same 4.8 gallons (something like that)???

if so...that is way higher than I heard anyone say they get...wow...especially geared down that much

SquireSCA 03-06-2006 12:22 AM

I barely get 100 miles on -1/+2, so my guess is that he did not recalibrate his speedo/odo and it is reading high.

Not only would his speedo read much faster than he is actually going, but his odomoter will rack up mileage 20% faster than it should, which would account for why he thinks he is getting 185 miles on a radically regeard bike.

600f4ika 03-06-2006 07:46 AM

Nicely put and thought out. I didn't think about it effecting the odometer reading just the speedometer. I'll have to go back and recalibrate it.

SquireSCA 03-06-2006 08:25 AM

You can use the online tool found on this page to calculate how much you are off based on the gear change:

http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/adjust.htm

Basically, you are off by almost 20%.

So when you drive 100 miles, your odomoter will read 120. When you drive 150, it will read 180, etc...

isolated1523 03-06-2006 10:03 AM

I just went with the vortex -1/+2 520 conversion and all i can say is WOW! Totally different bike than stock. Wheelies under it's own power (no rollon-off-on throttle jockeying like before), Stand-ups in 2nd at 45 instead of 70, stand-ups in 3rd cake too. Wouldn't go back for the world. Haven't had a chance to go for distance yet, i'm sure i lost some mpg's, but at $7 a tank, who cares? lol

Better than $33/tank at 14/mpg in my jeep. :P

-Adam

Tahoe SC 03-06-2006 03:54 PM

yo mang...if you so into stunting you shouldn't go with the 520...
also all that increase in torque is from the -1 +2 and not from the decreased weight.

cjbettis 03-06-2006 05:53 PM

yo mang...if you so into stunting you shouldn't go with the 520...
also all that increase in torque is from the -1 +2 and not from the decreased weight.
+1 on the 520...usually only done for track guys...you want a 525 or even 530 for the extra strength

congrats though the on the diff...love my gearing mods as well!!

Tahoe SC 03-06-2006 06:23 PM

yea mang...i just swapped mines from 525...about the same gearing...had -1 before, now with stock front and +3 rear.
if i was going to use this strictly for commuting...i'd be pissed because i can hardly tell the difference between now and before...luck for me, it's going to be weekend canyon warrior and track day bike.

isolated1523 03-07-2006 01:01 AM

Yeah i know the torque is from the gearing, not the less chain weight. Went with the 520 for a couple of reasons, mainly because it was what came with the kit i bought and was the right price. I personally don't think that i'm gonna notice a significant enough chain wear difference to say i shouldn't have gone with the 520. Guess we'll see though.

Tahoe, i'm not surprised that you can't tell much of a difference between the -1 you had before and the +3 you have now, since they're relatively the same gearing....however, throw that -1 on WITH the +3 and then come back and tell us what you think....

Tahoe SC 03-07-2006 12:19 PM

no mang...those are stunna gearing [:'(] hahhhahah....
i know what -1/+3 will do...put me flat on mah back!

drumpro80 03-07-2006 03:20 PM

So then our speedo is read off of the transmission right? Not to sound like an idiot, I just wasn't sure in the first place. Also, how long back does that stand? I mean, would say a 95 of any make have a wheel mounted speedo, or just the tranny? Thanks

SquireSCA 03-07-2006 07:38 PM

Most modern bikes measure it from the trasnmission or the crank. You alter the gearing after that point and so you radically change the actual speed of the bike, and so now the reading from the crank is way off because it has no way of knowing or reflecting whatever changes you made to the sprockets.

drumpro80 03-08-2006 03:43 AM

got ya! thanks Squire. The only reason I asked is I thought mine was, but wasn't positive. And, my buddy has a 95 Kawi Zx7 and he just got a sprocket conversion on his and he said his speedo seems normal. Thanks tho!

SquireSCA 03-08-2006 08:07 AM

Well, you can do a conversion from 530 or 525 to 520, but keep the stock gear *ratio* and your speedo will be fine.

It's when you change the number of teeth that it throws things off.