600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Air filters... Ugh!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filters... Ugh!

Okay okay okay... so I'll be blunt. It's time to get an air filter.

Now I've done over 4.5 hours of "searches" on google, here and otherwise... and I've not found anything that really gives me a good feeling that I know some facts, so I'm looking for more facts AND opinions. Here's what I see, and over 95% of everything I get is all opinion, no facts...

Stock: Approx. 60% say this is the way to go and that you get the best results here. Not cleanable (throw away). Around $40.

K&N: Over 25% of those that say "go with Aftermarket" say to go with these. (no dyno back-to-back proof of why, I hear claims of HP loss mostly, but some gain and they love them in their cars!) Cleanable, about $60-70.

BMC: 75% of those that say "go with Aftermarket" say to go with these. The split tends to be heavy on the "race" filter (2 layers, 25% more flow than standard BMC, clean more often) application, with little opinion (and even less fact) on the "standard" filter (4 layers, requires cleaning less often, more flow, claimed, than stock). Some claim HP gain, some Loss... this is the only one that has more "gain" voices than "loss"... and I've seen one actual dyno result on a 1000RR that supports a solid basis for claims on this Air filter with a true 2hp added (back to back "best of three" with each, bike never left the dyno machine). Cleanable, about $65.

Others: Mixed results, none show up popular enough for me to have any sway opinion wise to them.

So, my question is... I need an air filter... what are YOUR opinions? What does YOUR "Seat of the pants" dyno say? What were YOUR results? Best yet... you have some links for me to read up on my own? Do you have a REAL before and after Air-filter dyno (On the same day, preferred)?

P.S. One last note... I'll be running a slipon pipe and a PCIII, and I'm not afraid of a custom Dyno tune. So keep that in perspective.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Air filters... Ugh!

i want to know about this too...i have read nothing but bad about K&N and dyno results to back that up...HOWEVER...the BMCs i have heard pretty much nothing but good but that the race filter is too much for street....

opinions?

Old 03-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had k&n.. in my 954.. now i never did any tests.. with stock vs k&N.. but with custom tune.. k&n filter.. and scorpion slip on. i went from 130hp to 137.. RWHP.. but witha stock bike and a custom tine u usually can get about 2...3...4.hp from fixing your A/F ratio.. i think my next aftermarket will be BMC.. i have always used k&n for cars.. but i thnk BMC is the way to go..or maybe even stock.. who knows.. the little more air that you are getting your not really goin to feel.. and even after you change it.. the " more power" you feel is all in your head.. so who knows really, but anyone else maybe know more?

Old 03-12-2008, 03:25 PM

All I can say is that I have a K&N in my Yam. The packaging says that it's a GYTR filter, but the truth is that it's a blue K&N.
Performance wise I can't prove anything, but it feels to me as if it's a bit "fresher".
However, I can say that after at least 4 cleaning sessions and a lot of dirt, it still looks like new - so I can say for sure the quality is great.

I think I might try the BMC (non race) for my Honda, just for comparison.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 PM

Good good! More opinions and such!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:54 PM

The BMC race is good if you dont ride it all the time.Free flowing but not worth the 1hp it maybe worth over the the standard BMC street filter.

The BMC is to me a better quality filter than the K&N( now i run k&n's in my cars but the bike is different).

Here is a picture of the three side by side which one would you want(look at the surface flow area)?
Name:  P1000942.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  150.1 KB

Old 03-12-2008, 04:33 PM

That a picture of the BMC race or standard?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a k&n in my 68 chevy. I noticed a big difference vs stock. But in my blazer, which is f.i. vs carbuerated on my truck, I really didnt notice much difference vs stock. On a previous bike, I really couldnt notice much of a difference with k&n except the cost.