600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Aftermarket Rear Sets

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Rear Sets

I'm curious on how many people out there are running aftermarket rear sets and what brands. It seems that when I go out and get aggressive on my bike now I'm scrapping the outside of my shoes (I do try to make sure that my feet are flush against the bike). At that point I either stop leaning or I lift my foot so that I can get a little deeper. I'm assuming that a pair of rearsets will solve this issue. I'd just like to know if the issue is my technique or if this is a problem for most aggressive riders.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aftermarket Rear Sets

I have a set of Vortex adjustable rearsets on my bike. The photos show the footpeg and controls in a position that is a little up and to the rear of stock pegs. I've since moved the pegs fully up and back as well as converted the shift pattern to GP-style. All parts are included to change the shift pattern and it's a 5 minute job to make the change.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:10 PM

Hi,

What does the rearsets do?

Old 08-05-2007, 02:05 PM

well other than the obvious job of giving you a place to put your feet
they
are sturdier than stock giving you a solid place to put your weight on when cornering
give you more ground clearance so you dont scrape as quick
dont fold up so they offer another solid slider to keep the frame off the ground
some are adjustable so you can custom fit the bike to your size and what feels perfect
allow you to reverse shift which to me personally offers fewer missed upshifts because you are stomping the pedal instead of pulling up
reverse shift also allows you to upshift on a left hand curve if you absolutly have to without running the risk of scraping your foot

(you cant downshift though but downshifting while in a fast corner isnt a great idea anyway without a slipper clutch)

Old 08-06-2007, 02:40 AM

Wow thanks,

That does have alot of benefits from it.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 AM

I've got Vortex on one bike and Woodcraft on another
Woodcraft would be fine for the street, they're simple and sturday while not being overly aggressive
The vortex are nicer but they're more race oriented. The shifter uses a bearing rather than the simple pivot that the woodcraft uses which makes it a lot smoother but it also means that eventually it will have to be replaced due to wear or it can get damaged if you drop the bike. Also, the Vortex pegs are sharp as hell, its covered in sharp spikes that have been known to draw blood if you hit it accidentally with your shin. Once (and only once) I needed to move the back wheel sideways a few inches in my trailer, so I grabbed the footpeg to lift up a little bit to push the back end. Needless to say my polished aluminum footpeg then had a coat of familiar red liquid on it... OUCH

also, you say your riding with your feet "flush" with the bike, what exactly do you mean by that? you should have the ***** of your feet on the tip of the peg so that the very tip of your shoe doesn't extend lower than the footpeg itself

Old 08-07-2007, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

also, you say your riding with your feet "flush" with the bike, what exactly do you mean by that? you should have the ***** of your feet on the tip of the peg so that the very tip of your shoe doesn't extend lower than the footpeg itself
When I say "feet flush on the bike", I mean the inside of my foot as close to the bike as possible. And if I have the ***** of my feet on the pegs instead of my arch or heel on the pegs, I can't reach the controls (shifter, brake). My feet are size 9. When I scrape my feet on the ground it's typically the outside of my shoe around the pinky toe. What you said above makes perfect sense. But my feet just aren't that big.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:11 AM

The only time your feet should be on the controls (shifter and/or rear brake) is when they are actually being used. Otherwise, the ***** of your feet should be on the peg. So - move your foot forward to shift, move it back after shifting. Same with rear brakes if you use them.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:52 AM

before you fork out money on rearsets, which do look pimp, you need to work on your riding technique. that's what is causing you to scrape, not your equipment.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:16 AM

Yeah, I definately was not looking into the purchase of rearsets for the "look factor". I'm more the function type. Thanks guys, that's what i wanted to hear. I know that my technique needs work. Didn't realize that I need to be shifting my feet back and forth on the pegs.

Hmmm, this leaves me to wonder what else I'm doing wrong. I'm glad I have someone to ask now though.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Rear Sets