600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

$6 custom slip-on

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $6 custom slip-on

****************PROJECT COMPLETE -- PG 2 HAS COMPLETED PICS**********************

What started out as a one hour project turned into an all day affair today!! I've wanted to remove the exposed aluminum heat shield parts that stick over the sides of the stock pipe ever since I put on my FE. I went to the garage today to just remove the stock pipe, cut the shield up and then polish up the pipe so it'd look decent without the shields blocking the raw-looking welds.

I used a thread from 600rr.net to easily remove the pipe (still waiting on gettingthe service manual):

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=74778

Here's the heat shield after I cut it up. I had the pipe off andmocked the shield back into place and used a pencil to mark what needed cutting.I used tin shears to cut. It didn't turn out too bad, but finished the edges with a file and smoothed everything out. I also used a rubber mallot to straighten out all the edges as the shears tended to "pinch" the metal. Doing this made it look much better.

I soon realized that I didn't have the tools or knowlege on how to real nicely polish the stock pipe so I went looking for high-temp exhaust/engine paint and thought I'd paint the can matte black. I got lucky when my local NAPA had this stuff in stock:

It costs about $6 per can. Dupli-Color is the manufacturer and it's rated up to 1200F. I researched engine/exhaust temps on bikes before buying and found it'd be about 1000 right out of the engine, so this should be fine. The can does say it can sustain 1200 degree resistance for only short periods of time...we'll have to see how well it actually holds up in the long-run.

Prep work was a little time-consuming. First I cleaned the entire pipe/can with brake cleaner and shop towels (the blue paper towels). Next I took a red ScottBrite scuff pad and scuffed the entire pipe/can. It shined it up from a gold/bronze color to a dull silver. Next I washed the pipe/can in my kitchen sink w/mild soap and water as the directions on the spray can state. I taped off the outlets/inlets so no water would get in as a precautionary measure. I wiped it dry and then hung it out for about an hour to really dry.

I set up a makeshift "spray room" in my garage using duct tape and an unwanted magazine. A newspaper would've worked MUCH better.

I used some random wire laying around to hang the screws I plan on putting back into the back of the pipe (where the rear plastic outlet piece goes).

I originally was going to just spray the "can" itself and leave the pipe w/the factory finish, but decided to do the whole thing. I taped off the area just about where the exhaust clamp connects the mid-pipe to the header.

The can's directions say to paint three coats: two light coats and one medium coat with 10 minutes in between each coat. One hour afterspraying is dry to the touch. Three hours after spraying is dry enough to handle. You can bake it if you want. I didn't have an oven big enough to do this.

Waiting to dry:

Waiting for re-install:

I know it's not too good for the bike, but I had to start it up and run it for a few sec's...holy crap it sounds mean!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Default RE: $6 custom slip-on

Obviously pics will be up when I'm done. If you're wondering why the pipe is inside a closet drying, it's because it started to rain outside and figured all that humidity can't be good for trying to dry something that I just rattle-canned.

*Pic attachment is of the heat shield...no need to view.*

Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Very interesting- Can't wait to see the end since I just got my CA FE in today and dont have the green for an exhaust yet-

Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 PM

That's what prompted this little project. It's going to be a while before I can afford the akra....

Pics will be up tomorrow afternoon.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:06 PM

When you finish... I would post this up in the "How-To" section... well done! I look forward to seeing the end result!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 PM

word.. i like the arkra as well.. but have been listening to the devil exaust vids on youtube.. n they sound sweet..

nice job btw

Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 PM

I hate to any kind of a downer - it sounds like everyone on here is really nice -

but why didnt you just take the stock pipe to be powder coated - that AND the heat shield - you could have saved sooo much time and you know that stuff will hold up.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM

how much is PC? $$$ more than 6$ for paint. plus time. thats why he didnt PC them.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM

ok smart guy - i didnt know you had your head up his *** the whole time he did the project.

it was just a suggestion being as though he doesnt know if the finish will even hold up and he spent all day doing it and turning his closet into a spray booth.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 PM

EASY!!! Rattlecan satin black is the best way to go, powdercoating is expensive and takes time. Plus its REALLY heavy... I think woody did something really cool, +1. I want to see it when its done!

Quick Reply: $6 custom slip-on