1000F Videos Post up your 1000F related vids here ...

Electric CBR - Rear Wheel Test Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry_T_Hamster
I see you have a luggage rack - have you looked at using panier space to store more batteries - or are they too heavy?
Yeah, that luggage rack was a nice perk. I've taken it off for now but I will use it at some point in this project.

I've considered panniers, for sure. If I am unable to stuff the first 24 cells in the motor bay, I will be looking elsewhere to put them and that's a natural location.

Each cell is about 7 lbs. It takes 4 cells to make a 12v equivalent pack. I would probably want to fabricate something specific to better fit the form factor of the batteries and to support them, but I could still make them hang on the Givi rack.

When I get the lithium batteries in the bike I'll be sure to post an update to the forum.

d.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 AM

That thing is pretty cool, how/why did you decide to build it? Well I guess its a dumb question(fuel prices)

Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by outlawfox13
That thing is pretty cool, how/why did you decide to build it? Well I guess its a dumb question(fuel prices)
I actually started this because I've always wanted to build a custom bike, but when you say "custom bike" what usually comes to mind are American Chopper type bikes. I wanted to do something different.

A friend of mine built an electric bike in his barn and that served as the initial inspiration for me. I've always enjoyed playing with electric motors, so the idea kind of took off from there. My buddy recently put his electric bike up against a field of gas bikes at Barber Motorsports and sent me a video clip of it. This bike is using the same motor as what's in mine, so I expect performance to be similar once I'm done. Here's a link to that video.

YouTube - Team Electra

It's fun to watch him start at the back of the pack and move up.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered a belt drive instead? I'm under the impression that besides low maintenance, they are more efficent. And quieter also.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 PM

That is the most bizarre, yet intriguing thing I have ever seen! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Have you considered a belt drive instead? I'm under the impression that besides low maintenance, they are more efficent. And quieter also.
I did. The reason I went with the sprocket is because they're cheap, it's easy to play around with gear ratios, and it's also easy to get just the right length of chain by adding/subtracting links.

A belt drive would be cool though. That really would be silent. The chain drive is hard enough for pedestrians to hear as I have discovered. You hear it sitting on the bike, but from as little as 20 feet away, almost nothing.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM

Hey man, I just realized your in Herndon Va not too far from me. I would love to ride down one weekend this summer and see your bike. I think it is a really cool concept!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by outlawfox13
Hey man, I just realized your in Herndon Va not too far from me. I would love to ride down one weekend this summer and see your bike. I think it is a really cool concept!
Sure, come on down. I'll have it together in its current state for another few weeks until the lithium batteries arrive. Then I'll be partially disassembling it so I can build the new battery frame, etc. You can reach me offline at dale@coyner.com

Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 AM

dude, that bike is so awesome.
Great work!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

Emailed for an update.

Quick Reply: Electric CBR - Rear Wheel Test Video