1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

winter mod: the luggage rack

Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default winter mod: the luggage rack

so i finally got around to working on a rack for the tail on my '08 -- some goals being to provide a sturdy frame that will keep things away from the bodywork and provide a multitude of uses, be easy to take on and off, and not look completely ridiculous or out-of-place. a large percentage of my riding is to and from work and frankly i'm getting tired of the backpack, and i want a good system for some overnight gear to start doing some extended trips.

i'm using aluminum bar since it's light, easy to form and won't corrode, but that also comes with a need to provide some sound geometry and sufficient support to keep things stiff. so far i'm pretty happy with the design but am still wrestling with the following issue:
between the street hooks and the tail tidy i thought i'd have some decent mounting points and everything seemed solid while i was fitting things, but once i strapped a load on top the whole thing is fairly 'wiggly', it seems mostly because of the flexibility of the tail tidy. at this point, i'm thinking i'll try to use a bar across the two bolts inside the trunk from the pillion strap, but i'll need to notch the cowl to do it -- i was hoping to avoid any body mods, but that's perhaps one i can live with, and i think it'll provide the most stability. another possibility is creating a 'base plate' under the tail tidy between the trunk and the license/lights assembly, but that still won't provide as much support as going to the frame from the top. still undecided.
so have any of the rest of you tried to come up with some custom racks/supports on an 08+?
anyone mounted hard saddlebags??
any advice on the overall design?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're gonna try for more than 5-10#, I think you're gonna need to go to tubing or
square-stock for your basic frame. The rod is just too flexible vs weight/diameter.

If you just went to a square stock for the mounting rods You'd be adding a lot of
rigidity. Your other option might be gussets, in the corners of your joints. That helps keep the 'airy' look you've got going. but will also stiffen it up a lot.

Regardless, I would be cool about loading more than 20-ish pounds in that position.
For more than that look into a tank-bag or panniers.

Nice work, by the way.

Ern

Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default [ project update ]

i went back to the ol' drawing board and ended up with something i'm much happier with the second time around.

improvements: direct connection to subframe under tail, reinforced connection behind the FE, double the number of mounting points, thicker gauge frame, and a modular approach. and although there's more metal to it, i think the shape complements the tail much better. still not finished with some additional details, but it's already a vast improvement over my first attempt; this time the whole assembly doesn't even budge. right now, i think i'm leaning toward black powdercoat when finished.

some nother angles:

Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks first class. Great mounting points. Excellent tie-down points as well. Great work.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's pretty hip! I keep telling myself, "I need to learn to weld".
Seeing your work just drives/inspires me to want to, even more.

Ern

Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTDT lol Nice man good job